Chapter 1

Masha limped up the street, taking as much time as she could heading home. Her leg had never healed correctly, probably from insufficient medical treatment, and it hurt worse than ever on cloudy days like this one. Her foster parents didn't love her, and she knew it. They were always sending her away on errands or chores just to get her out of their sight, and never so much as thanked her for anything. She was used to it, but that didn't help the pain of the rejection.
She reached the front door of her house, and stuffed those thoughts into some distant corner of her mind so she could focus. She pulled out the key, unlocked it, and trudged inside.
"I'm home!" she called to no one in particular, her hoarse voice slicing the stillness of the dusty air.
"Come here, then, girl!"
The voice of her foster mother was sharp like it was before a scolding, so it was with a resigned sigh that Masha dragged herself up the old staircase. The cobwebs tugged at her pitch black locks as she ascended, but she swatted them aside, the ghostly paleness of her hand seeming out of place in the dreary home.
She had just reached the top of the stairs when her foster mother's voice snapped through the air like a whip.
"Girl, did you hear me? I said now, not tomorrow! Get up here!"
Masha only rolled her emerald green eyes, and continued moving at her slow pace.
Finally, she reached the door to the office, and went in, not bothering to knock. Her foster mother was seated behind the desk with her usual scowl, and her foster father stood behind her with his usual cold stare devoid of any human sympathy or compassion. They resembled each other, both having grey eyes and matching hair, as well as a seeming passion for physical abuse.
"Now that you're finally up here," her foster father said coldly. "We have something to tell you, girl."
Masha stood stiffly in silence, only mildly curious as to what this was. Normally it was just an insult or another chore to do, so she had learned to not be curious for the most part.
"We've given you as an indentured servant to Mr. Braginski so we can afford to keep our house," her foster mother said in an entirely non-remorseful voice. "Go and get your things. Someone will be here to pick you up in half an hour."