Chapter 15

Masha didn't seem any different for the next few weeks. She was just as quiet and helpful as she always had been, as though the incident with Russia had never happened. But then she started getting quieter, talking less and less, and always staring outside and keeping to herself.
"Masha, is everything alright with you?" Lithuania asked her worriedly one day.
"Hm? Oh, yes, everything is fine," Masha said, blinking and coming out of one of her silent thought stages. "Why do you ask?"
"You've gotten really quiet lately," Lithuania said softly, watching her out of the corner of his eye.
"Yes? I haven't noticed," she blinked, turning to look at him. "I'm sorry if I've been worrying you."
"Not just me," Lithuania sighed, looking into her weary eyes. "Everyone has. If something's wrong, you know you can talk to one of us, don't you?"
"It's just that -" she stopped herself and plopped down on the floor, looking upset. "No, nothing."
"Masha, it's okay," Lithuania told her gently, sitting down beside her. "You can talk to me."
"I . . . I know," she murmured, picking at a spot on the rug. "It's just . . . hard. I've trusted to quickly before. I've never had anyone that I could really talk to and have them care or even listen. My mom was always drunk and yelling, my dad was abusive, my foster parents just wanted me out of their sight all the time . . . I've been betrayed before, and it's hard to trust again. B-but I know I . . . can . . . trust you, and the others."
"So tell me what's been bothering you," he suggested gently.
She sighed softly and looked up at him with timid eyes.
"Can you just hug me?" she asked sadly.