Chapter 6

The next morning, when Lithuania knocked on Masha's door, it opened almost immediately.
She was already dressed, and he couldn't help wondering how long she'd been awake.
"Since five this morning," she murmured, answering his unspoken question. "Force of habit, I think."
The tone in her voice was more than enough to tell him to drop it. He bit his lip and didn't inquire further, but he couldn't pretend he wasn't curious. Instead, he decided to say what he'd been sent to tell her.
"Mister Russia wants to see you," he told her.
There was a flash of something in her eyes, but it was gone before he could place it.
"He would," she sighed. "Yes, well, thank you for telling me. I remember the way to his office, there is no need for you to show me."
She limped past him, and he watched her go. Maybe he had imagined what she'd whispered the night before, but it wasn't likely. She was strong, but Masha was probably going to stop hoping within a week.
_____________________________________________

Masha knocked quietly on the door, receiving an almost instant response.
She slipped in and stood quietly, waiting for Russia to say something.
"Masha," he said in a quiet voice, as though he was struggling against something inside. "Did your parents hurt you?"
"Yes," she said tonelessly, not willing to let any emotion sneak into her voice. "And they're not my parents. Fosters."
"And they didn't give you any sort of medical attention when they . . . hurt you?"
"No," she sighed warily, unable, for once, to see where the conversation was going.
"Did they give you a choice when they sent you here?" he asked, watching her closely.
Masha slowly lifted her eyes to his and smiled slightly. The question had startled her at first, but it was rather amusing upon reflection. She'd never had a choice in her whole life. The idea that she would have been allowed one on a matter that would inevitably change the course of her life was ridiculous.
"No," she replied.
A brief flash of disappointment flickered over Russia's face, and he looked away.
"That is all. You may go. Lithuania will tell you what you need to do."