Chapter 12

Masha knocked on the office door and walked in without waiting for a response. Since she had been summoned, she figured Russia was expecting her anyway.
"Masha," Russia said, looking up when she entered. "Please sit down, da?"
She blinked. That was . . . unexpected. She'd never been asked to sit down before.
She sat down in the chair in front of the desk and stared carefully at Russia. They were quiet for a moment, then Masha smiled.
"What is it, da?" Russia asked, confused.
"Your eyes," Masha smiled.
"What about them?"
"They're beautiful."
Russia felt his face heat up slightly. No one had ever called his eyes beautiful before, or even pretty. The way Masha had said it almost made him believe it, too.
"Th-thank you, da," he said, looking away from her.
"You wanted something?" Masha said, capturing his gaze again.
"I just want to know if you would like me to kill your foster parents for you," he stated.
Masha was quiet for several minutes, then slowly nodded.
"Yes, I actually think that would be nice," she murmured. "If you do, though, please don't mention them again."
"That is fine," Russia agreed, even though the request was a bit strange.
"May I go to bed now?" Masha asked quietly.
"Da, you may go."
"Thank you, sir." She stood and walked to the door, but stopped when she reached it.
"Why would you kill someone for me?" she asked without turning around. Her tone was suspicious.
"Because they hurt you," Russia said, watching Masha steadily grip the doorknob tighter. "Anyone who hurts you needs to die."
She turned briefly, and her eyes were filled with such pain and sadness that his own eyes widened.
"Do you really believe that?" she whispered softly, but he heard her clearly nonetheless.