Chapter 5

Russia watched Masha leave his office in silence. She had to have been the most beautiful girl he had ever seen, scars or not. No one had told him that she was as pretty as that. If she needed punishing for anything in the future, something told him he'd have trouble doing it. He wouldn't want to hurt her even more than she already had been. Her parents - if they had really been - hadn't seemed to have anything nice to say about their daughter except that she was strong and could overcome sickness and injury without medical treatment.
Now that he had seen her, though, he could tell that the last part wasn't true. Those scars were scars from abuse and neglected medical needs. He'd also seen her limp. But they'd been right about her strength. A normal person wouldn't have been able to overcome such injuries.
One other thing was lurking at the back of his mind. Masha Abakumova hadn't been afraid of him.
__________________________________________________

"This is your room," Lithuania said, stopping in front of the door.
"Thank you," Masha murmured.
His eyes met hers for a brief instant before flicking away again.
"He beats you guys up, doesn't he?" she asked, scanning him for his reaction.
"W-what - how-"
"I can see it in your eyes," she said. "Don't try to deny it. You look like you've just about taken all the abuse you can take. Someone has tried to put out your fire out. From the way you acted around him, I could tell it was Mr. Braginski."
There was a hint of what might have been pity in her voice, but it was hard to tell with her, and for some reason, he started blushing again.
A ghost of a smile flitted across Masha's lips before she disappeared into her room with two last, whispered words:
"Keep hoping."
Then the door closed, and Lithuania was left standing in the relatively dark hallway, alone with the silent echo of those words.  

The Soul's Fireजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें