Chapter 2

Masha turned away instantly and went to her room. She had been sold, given away to a complete stranger just so her foster parents could keep their stupid house, and it stung. It would have stung more if there was anything she had here that was worth staying for, but it was her home all the same. Everything she had known for so long was in this dark and gloomy house. She had also known several things in her actual mother's home, but there was no way that she was ever going back there, that was for sure.
Not wanting to think about her actual mother, she turned her attention to stuffing her few possessions into a bag. She really didn't own much; just a hairbrush, a toothbrush, two outfits, one pair of boots, and five or six books that she couldn't bear to part with. Those were the only items she knew of in her life that didn't remind her of eighteen years of pain, a whole lifetime of abuse, and wherever she went, they were coming with her. She just had to keep them, as though she was desperate to cling to the final remnants of happiness in her life.
She slung the bag over her shoulder and limped back down the stairs just as there was a knock on the front door.
"Answer it, it's probably your ride!" her foster mother shouted from the upstairs. "If it is, get out and stay out! If it isn't, get out and stay out anyway!"
Masha rolled her eyes again and opened the door, revealing a boy about her age, eighteen or nineteen, with light brown hair and green eyes that almost matched her own.
She walked straight past him, slamming the front door behind her, and got in the car waiting at the curb. She knew he was there to take her away. She didn't care about being rude, she just wanted to be done with it.
The boy got in the driver's seat, looking mildly confused.
"You're Masha Abakumova?" he asked, studying her face curiously.
"Yes," she said, staring straight ahead as he started the car and began to drive. She didn't want to see the old, gloomy house one last time. She was afraid that she might want to go back if she did. "Please don't ask questions. Just drive and get me the hell out of here."