Chapter 11

Lithuania cautiously looked up at her.
"You mean . . . you would do more work than you have to . . . just to help me?"
"Yes," Masha said, removing her hand and meeting his gaze calmly. "I don't need free time. If I have to have it, I might as well do something useful with it."
"You might get in trouble," Lithuania pointed out awkwardly. "You shouldn't -"
"I know that I could get in trouble," she interrupted with a hint of a laugh in her voice. "I'm no stranger to trouble. I can deal with it."
"You're not afraid of Russia, are you?" Lithuania asked quietly, regarding Masha with new respect.
"No," Masha murmured. "Is there a reason why I should be?"
"Because he's scary and kills people," Lithuania muttered before he could stop himself.
"It's not like that's new to me," Masha shrugged quietly. "I don't mind. Now you do want help, right?"

__________________________________________________________________________

Russia paused before opening the door, and two voices could be heard.
"You're not afraid of Russia, are you?"
He froze, listening in. That was Lithuania's voice, talking to Masha.
"No," Masha's voice answered. "Is there a reason why I should be?"
Russia blinked. Masha really couldn't find a reason to be afraid of him? That was new.
"Because he's scary and kills people," Lithuania said.
"It's not like that's new to me," Masha said in a much quieter voice.
Russia turned quickly and walked back to his office.
So . . . Masha wasn't afraid of him, even though she knew that he killed people.