Latvia's Ending

" . . . Latvia."
Latvia's jaw dropped, but he closed it and jumped to his feet quickly. He followed the doctor to the hospital room.
"Don't take too long with her, she needs rest," the doctor cautioned, opening the door to let him in.
"I won't," Latvia promised, hurrying past him into the room.
The room was filled with the sound of many machines, but he barely noticed as he ran to the bed, where Masha was propped up, looking weary but alright.
"Masha!" he exclaimed, and she looked up at him.
To his surprise, she giggled slightly.
"You look terrified," she smiled kindly. "I'm still Masha, I won't bite you."
"I - I know," he mumbled, blushing. "I'm just worried about you."
"That's very sweet," she smiled extending a pale hand to grab his own trembling one. "Hey."
He looked at her.
"I love you."
If he hadn't seen her lips move and heard her unmistakable voice, he never would have believed that it was indeed Masha who said it.
"You - you what?" he stuttered, blushing harder.
"I love you," she repeated, still smiling.
"Are you . . . serious?" he asked uncertainly.
"Yes," she said, her hand going limp in his.
He tightened his grip on her hand. "Are you okay?"
"Yes . . . just - medication," she muttered. "I'm tired . . ."
"I'll go," he said quickly, standing up. He hesitated. Her eyes were closed, but he could tell she was awake. "Masha?"
"Mm?"
"I love you too," he said.
"Mm-hm."
"Goodnight," he said, smiling to himself as he strode toward the door.