Chapter One

A/N: I know in the White Collar tv show they use blackberries instead of iPhones but for the sake of this book, we're gonna say iPhones.

Blair's POV

My fingers skimmed over my laptop's keyboard as I hacked into someone's iPhone. It was an unspoken danger having a hot-spot turned on your phone at all times. It made it much more easier for someone like me, to go back into virtual wallets and banks alike. They may as well be handing their money to me in person.

I let out a small breath as I closed my laptop. Another thousand dollars in my bank account. If I took anymore, it would set off alarms to the FBI and NYPD, which was something I certainly didn't need.

I looked around my small house. While I wasn't technically supposed to be living on my own, money was quite the persuader.

However, this apartment wasn't anything like an NYC penthouse. White paint was peeling off of the walls and the uneven floorboards made it dangerous to walk on in the dark.

It would be dumb to flaunt my money around with the FBI searching for me. They'd been on the hunt for me ever since shut down a security system in an art museum and stole a painting. But luckily for me, while "Override" was on their radar, Blair Taylor on the other hand, was not. Not even the great Neal Caffrey could find me. Hacking wasn't in his expertise.

I pushed my laptop off me, onto my bed and glanced at the time. Shoot. 3:00pm. I was going to be late for work again. My boss is going to have my head.

I threw on my blonde curly wig(I like to be prepared with the option of a quick change in case of a police chase), covering my own straight brown hair, put in my green colored contacts, changing my electric blue eyes to a dark green, and changed into a pair of black pants and a black t-shirt. The common barista uniform. I shoved my phone into my pocket and grabbed my apartment keys and black sweatshirt that said, "I'm so freakin cold" on the front. Then I left my apartment, locking the door behind me. It's New York City. Of course I'm going to lock the door.

I ran as fast as I could to Starbucks, two blocks away from where I lived, until I bumped into someone.

I grunted as I fell to the ground.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" The man said and helped me up.

"It's fine. I'm fine." I replied, getting a good look at him. Well, well, well, what do you know? It was Neal Caffrey.

"Are you sure?" I could almost laugh at the fact that he had no idea he just knocked down Override. The girl they've been searching for for quite a while.

"Yea. Really. I gotta go." I continued sprinting to Starbucks.

I ran in and went behind the counter. "I'm so sorry! I lost track of time and then ran into-" I blurted out to my boss Carter.

He smirked and stopped me before I could continue. "You're two minutes early. It's 3:13."

I took a deep breath in, surprised. "I made it?"

He laughed. "Yea, put your stuff in the back and get to work."

"Yes sir." I saluted him. I owed a lot to Carter. He knew my parents when they were alive and moderately knew my situation. He didn't know I was Override but he did know I've hacked into a few(few is used lightly) banks to keep myself fed and clothed and whatnot.

I took my place at the counter, relieving Jessica, the original barista.

I took people's orders until Neal Caffrey showed up in front of me. I didn't see him often at this Starbucks. I wonder what brought him here today?

"Hello sir, what would you like today?" I said and moved a piece of my hair out of my face.

"A medium Italian roast, and a vanilla latte please." He said, looking at the menu.

"Coming right up. Is that all?"

"Yes." He seemed slightly distracted. Very unlike Neal.

"What shall I put your name down as?"

"Neal."

"Spelled N-E-A-L?"

"Yes. Thank you. And sorry that I knocked you over earlier."

"No problem. And it's all my fault. I should've watched where I was going." I wrote the name on the cups and handed to Michael, who stood behind me. Neal left the counter and stood next to the "drinks pick up station" as I called it.

A moment later I saw a man with cropped brown hair and brown eyes go up to Neal. I recognized him as Special Agent Peter Burke.

I continued working, but kept an eye on them. 

A few moments later they left. I was sad to see them leave but before I could dwell on that fact, a woman pulled my attention to her indecisiveness over what she should get.

—————————————
*short time skip to that night*

I put on a new wig. This one shoulder length and black. Switched out my green colored contacts for deep brown, almost black, ones. Then I put my black mask over my eyes and a piece of cloth over my mouth.

Changing into black leather pants and a leather jacket with a black t-shirt, I started hacking into the museum's security system that was to become my next victim of an art heist. Never put security system on WiFi. It's just a bad idea on so many different levels. Easy to rewire, easy to hack, even easy to completely fry(which I have done on a few occasions.). I shoved my clothes into the duffle bag I had with me.

Once that was done, I had a few minutes to get in the backdoor, and hack the alarms. So I snuck in, set my computer next to one of the paintings and plugged it into an outlet in the wall. I shut off all alarms on that side of the building. Now I had approximately two minutes to get the painting and get out of there before the police or/and FBI noticed.

I took the painting off the wall, put it in my duffle bag and shoved the rest of my stuff in as well. Right before I ran, I took out my knife and carved into the wall a simple message.

"Override thanks the museum for having a simple alarm and security system."

Maybe I shouldn't've wasted time writing that because in less than a minute the alarms would start blaring and the security tapes would be back up. I sprinted back to where the back door was and changed. I took off this wig and let my normal hair be down.

Then I converted the duffle bag back into a backpack and walked home. I was about a block away when I heard the alarm sound. The Police would be here in a few minutes. But thankfully, my apartment was only a few blocks away.

I sprinted to my apartment and went inside, said "Hi" to the drunkie "Carl", who was semiconscious and sprawled out on the stairs, and headed into my room.

I dropped my bag on my floor and slid down the wall. I wondered what it would be like if I were a normal teenager. Would it be fun? Would I be bored? Would I still be a hacker? Would I have to go to school? Ugh. Maybe it's better that I'm a criminal.

——————————————
Alright so that's the first chapter! I hope you guys enjoyed it and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.  Also thanks for clicking on my story. It means a lot.
Edit February 13th, 2021: Hi yall, it's been a hot minute since I've written this story and and published it. I took it off to fix my many mistakes that my 14 year old self came across when originally writing the story, but because of my super busy college schedule I haven't had much time to fix it. So I've decided to leave it up as I sporadically fix the chapters to when I have time. So yes I'm well aware of the plot holes/grammatical errors and story continuity errors and other stuff that may be wrong with the story. But still, Thank you so much for reading this story and blessing my 14 year old self.