Chapter Two

Blair's POV

I sat up quickly, sweat dripping from my forehead.

"It was just a dream." I mumbled to myself and rubbed my eyes.

My phone rang. Carter. I cursed and picked up the phone.

"Where are you?" He asked.

I glanced at the clock. 10:12. My Saturday shift started almost half and hour ago.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. I had a late night last night and-"

He cut me off. "It wouldn't have anything to do with the missing painting just two blocks away from you? Or would it?"

I laughed nervously. "No?"

"I swear to god, Blair. You're Override?"

"Carter. I need the money!"

"No you don't." I could practically hear him face palming.

"Listen, I'll be in to work in fifteen minutes."

"Fine. But what happens if the police comes after you?"

"They've been after me for like a year and I still haven't been caught. I'll be fine. Besides who'd suspect a teenager?"

"We'll talk about this in private when you get here. You have fifteen minutes." He hung up.

Great. Now Carter knows. He was fine with a few thousand dollars but now he might report me.

I got out of bed, changed into my work clothes, along with my leather jacket and combat boots, did eyeliner, put in green colored contacts, my blonde wig and left the house. Who needs breakfast, right?

I saw the FBI crowded around the art museum. Neal and Agent Burke were inside. I was tempted to go in but in all honesty, it wouldn't be smart. So I sprinted to Starbucks again, managed to not bump into anyone, and went behind the counter where Carter was waiting for me.

He had the back room cleared out and led me there.

"What are you doing with your life, Blair?"

"Carter. My parents were murdered for being conmen. I don't go to school. I can't live off of the salary I make here and I'm bored. Just let me live my life. Okay?"

"No I can't do that. This is different. If you don't stop I'm going to have to tell the FBI."

I scoffed. "You know, you promised, you promised, my parents to give me a job and make sure I didn't die. Not to keep track of every little thing I do!"

Carter ran a hand through his cropped, bronze hair. "You're right. When you get caught, don't expect me to bail you out."

"Don't worry I won't be caught."

"You better not be. Go." He pointed to the cash register.

"I-" I stopped and sighed. "Yes sir."

I could tell Carter was extremely disappointed in my life choices, but they were mine and not his.

I helped customers until about 1:30, then I had a lunch break and then worked more until 3. Carter didn't speak to me the entire time or let me plug in my phone to the sound system.