5

(The night of the date)

TONI'S POV

I pulled up to Cheryl's lavish house. She had told me to wear whatever (which seemed unusual coming from Cheryl Bombshell), so I arrived donned in my old jersey with TOPAZ inscribed on the back and a pair of frayed black jeans with black Converse high tops.

I used the ornate doorknocker. It made a sound so loud that the very earth itself appeared to shake at the slightest touch. Cheryl answered the door wearing only a blood red satin nightgown, trimmed with black lace. I didn't want to admit it, but something stirred inside me when I looked at her. She looked so good...

"Are you just going to gawk or are you coming in?" she said in a dreamy voice.

She took long strides, swaying ever so slightly with each weightless step. She was like an angel sent down from the heavens and doused in beauty. Why do I feel this way? I tried to shake it and focus on how excited I was to go out with Jughead, but I just couldn't take my eyes off of her.

We went to her room, and she pulled the chain on the chandelier lamp in her walk in closet. It was suddenly bathed in a faint reddish light, illuminating her perfect features. She beckoned for me, making a face that made me weak in the knees. She started rummaging through the clothes.

"I'm sorry TT, there might not be much in here... I should have picked some choices before you came, I'm sorry-"

"Cher," I said, reaching out and lightly touching her arm, "this is amazing. Thank you so much for helping me. You're a really good....friend." The word was painful to say. It left an unsavory taste in my mouth. It was bitter, unpleasant to say the least.

She turned away from me, almost disappointed. "Yes. Friend... you too."

CHERYL'S POV

When she touched my arm, my heart fluttered. I drew in a short breath, my heart pounding faster than a jackrabbit. I was flush with color (not that you could tell under my red chandelier). Then she shattered my fantasy.

"...You're a really good... friend."

I could actually feel my heart break a little. Not all was lost, considering her behavior when I answered the door, but 'low expectations, high hopes' was what Nana Rose always said. It was better to close myself off and stay a safe distance away, for my own sake and for hers.

"Yes. Friend...you too."

I slowly reached for a hanger. It held a velvet dress, one of the few things I owned that wasn't primarily red. Instead it was of licorice black crushed velvet. It had tiny red and white jewels sewed on the edges of a white peter pan collar. It had three quarter sleeves with a trim that matched the collar, jewels and all. It came with a matching pair of earrings and a beautiful studded bracelet.

Toni stood in awe. "It's perfect," she gaped.

"Alrighty," I chirped, "I think this is the one."

"Should I change into it now?" she asked.

I ran my finger on her shoulder playfully. "Slow down, TT. Makeup first."

TONI'S POV

She pushed me onto the bed. As her deep red hair billowed, I caught a whiff of her perfume, a sweet smell that filled me up with joy. I settled myself on the edge of the bed, admiring the view as she turned around to grab her makeup bag. She came back, straddling me while dipping the brush into the shimmery champagne eyeshadow. 

She went through her routine while telling me about her latest trip to the mall with Veronica. Sometimes she'd allow me to check on myself in the studded handheld mirror, but otherwise she kept my appearance concealed.

"Pucker up. It's lipstick time."

She pulled out a wine red lipstick and lathered it on.

"Wow, your lips are so full," she commented jokingly, "I've got quite the canvas to work with."

"I hate to brag, but it's all natural baby," I laughed.

Baby. It felt... right to call her that. No! Snap out of it! You're about to go out with the boy of your dreams!

CHERYL'S POV

After I finished up with her makeup, which was pretty good if I do say so myself, it was time for her to get dressed. I handed her the dress, and she started unbuttoning her jeans.

"Oh my god!" I practically yelled, "I- I should go, just lemme-"

"It's not a problem, we're friends."

She peeled off her jeans. Her coffee complexion contrasted with the lacy white underwear she had. She stole a knowing glance at me, then threw off her shirt. She had on a skimpy push up bra that was covered in ornate decor and lace that matched her undies. She turned around and stepped into her dress. She sensually looked over her shoulder.

"Zip me up, will you?"

I snapped out of my daydream. "Oh yeah, of course."

I zipped her up slowly and smoothly. I could have sworn that I heard her breathe some faint words, but I passed it off as my imagination running wild.

"All done," I said in a light whisper.

She casually twisted around, her face less than two inches from my own. I could feel her breath. She closed her eyes as she leaned in. This is it, I thought, this is what I've been craving. I rested my hands on her slim waist and tilted my head.

DING DING

She let out a breathy giggle and broke away. I was absolutely livid. That was my chance! She was so close, I was so close-

"It's Jughead," she said, "he's on his way."

"Oh... okay."

She laughed awkwardly, tucking a strand of bubblegum hair behind her ear. "I told him to get me here. I hope that's alright."

"Yeah, that's fine," I smiled. My heart was breaking in two. I was completely mortified. Please tell me that she'll ignore it, that life will go on as if it never happened.

"Listen, Cheryl," she began.

A motorcycle revved that could only be Jughead's.

"I gotta go. We'll talk about this later, okay?"

I sighed, gazing down at my feet in shame. "Okay."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

UGH I'M SORRY I'M SUCH A TEASE!!!!!! I wish I was better at writing kisses, but THEY. WERE. SO. CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-LilyPopp