10

BETTY'S POV

I took a long, warm shower to let off some steam as soon as I got home. As I rubbed the last of my foundation off my face and swaddled my hair in a towel, I heard muffled words from in my room. I tiptoed out of the bathroom apprehensively. I could feel my muscles tense.

"Hello?" I called out, to no avail.

I heard rustling. Finally, I burst in through the door. Chic was sitting on the floor with a stony, emotionless face, my iPhone pressed to his ear. He saw me and scrambled to his feet. He spoke in disjointed sentence fragments.

"I'm sorry Betty, I didn't think you'd be done yet, I h-heard your phone ring so I picked it up for you, I-"

"Scram," I said, trying to be even half as courageous as I looked. He scuttled out of the room like a creepy squirming rodent. I slowly picked up my phone. I was shocked to see Cheryl's caller ID. However, the voice it spat out was certainly not her.

"Hello Betty, nice to hear from you again."

"Leave us the hell alone," I hissed.

He giggled maniacally, "Tisk, tisk, tisk. Watch your language young lady, or you might be my latest project. After all, I've had every flavor of victim except blonde, and my walls are looking awfully drab with only your cousin." Suddenly, a bloodcurdling scream that could only be Cheryl's rang in my ear.

I started to build up tears as my hatred and fear and sadness bubbled up. "Get away from her! "

The Black Hood brought the phone up to his lips and whispered, "Whatever you do, don't come looking for her."

My face became flush with white hot rage. I hunched over my desk, digging my nails into the paint, leaning in slowly as if I were a panther about to pounce on my masked prey.

"Oh but deary," I growled, "you didn't say Simon Says."

CHERYL'S POV

I heard Betty's voice on the phone just a few feet away, so close and yet so far, in the hands of the Black Hood. I opened my mouth to call out to her, but he lashed me again, opening a gash on my taut stomach.

I took a rattling breath, making weak efforts to pull out of the chains that bound me to the wall. I heard the click of the call ending followed by footsteps, but it was so dark that I couldn't see which direction my attacker was coming from (not that I could do anything about it anyway).

He unbuckled the shackles on my hands but left my feet locked to the wall, and kicked over what looked like a dog dish full of slop.

"Eat," he commanded.

I breathed something indiscernible.

"What's that, Princess?" he barked, "Is my food not good enough for you?"

I shook my head violently instead of speaking. Why? He told me not to. I gratefully gobbled it up like a dog. Why? He told me to. His word was the law, and the court was unjust. Disobedience was met with punishment; whatever punishment he saw fit for the crime. I learned the rules through experience and through scars that I knew would not soon heal.

He gave a sickeningly sweet, yet crooked grin. "That's what I thought."

TONI'S POV

DING DING

A bombard of texts erupted from the group chat.

Betty: meet me at the whyte wyrm

Veronica: what's going on