6

JUGHEAD'S POV

Toni came running out the huge double doors. Her baby pink hair trailed behind her. She hopped on the back of my bike.

"Sorry I'm late," she huffed, out off breath.

I noticed that she didn't have a helmet on, and asked her whether she wanted mine. She looked at me like I had said the unthinkable.

She laughed, "Sugar, I have a bike of my own. What do you think I am, 5 years old?"

With that, we rode off to Pop's.

TONI'S POV

He laughed at my joke! It's so weird. I thought I'd be more excited about this. After seeing Cheryl tonight, I felt myself start to stray from the path. My mind began to wander to the future, a future where I'm wearing a flawless body con wedding dress. But I'm not walking down the aisle, and Jughead isn't waiting for me at the altar.

In my dream, Cheryl is wearing a white dress with a huge train, an elegant veil over her face. She's taking slow steps down the velvet carpet in her heels. She finally reaches the altar, and the officiant asks the ultimate question. Then she leans in, my heart is pounding, her sultry red lips that contrast the rest of her outfit are not an inch from mine, and-

"So Toni, how did you meet Cheryl?" he interrupted. He slurped his vanilla milkshake.

I tried to move off of the subject of Cheryl, groping for some kind of segway to another conversation, but only able to make out a feeble, "It's a boring story."

"We've got time, " he insisted.

I complied, slightly hesitant. "Well I was new to Riverdale High... after Southside High closed down, I had to transfer. Sure enough, first day I was literally pushed into her. After that she kinda took me under her wing. She said I had 'potential' and that I was 'just gorgeous to be something'. Like an apprentice for being popular and shit."

He laughed, "And you never thought to look into the 'gorgeous' part?"

"What do you mean," I said defensively, "I think I look pretty good."

"No, I mean the fact that Cheryl said you're gorgeous."

I shifted uncomfortably. Little did he know how much I cherished that sliver of appreciation. I hearkened back to it every time I felt worthless, or ignored by Jughead. I always thought of Cheryl's warming presence assuring me that I'm beautiful. Sure, she told me things like that often now, but that first, raw moment was something special. We weren't friends yet, and she generally wasn't very nice to strangers, so she must have genuinely meant what she said. There was a reason that Cheryl acknowledged me. It was a comforting feeling.

"I...I don't want to talk about Cheryl. Can we please talk about something else?"

He looked both guilty for bringing it up and concerned about my reaction. "Sure."

We talked for hours. I felt unusually heavy, not as weightless as expected. I'd been dreaming of going out with him, but when it was time to leave, I wasn't disappointed. At least, not as disappointed as I was when I had to leave Cheryl's place.

"I had a really nice time tonight," I said, "Maybe we can do it again? Like a movie or something?"

"Sure. I'll bring Betty, and we can invite Varchie if we can pry them apart for 5 seconds," he winked. "Oh and you can bring Cheryl! Triple date!"

My hands went numb. The color drained from my face. My feet were made of concrete. "We're not... together."

He smirked, "Really?"

"No, we're not."

"You better tell Cheryl to wipe those heart eyes off her face, then."

I uneasily nodded.

"Do you want me to drop you home?"

"No," I said, seething, "drop me at Cheryl's"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Idk what to write here except THANK YOU FOR READING!!!!!! I know this story is kinda slow but trust me, it gets better!! Let me know whether you'd want to see a Choni One Shot book like my Bughead One-Shot book! Make sure to follow me on instagram ( @jugheadandjuliet ) for all Riverdale news, pictures, and edits!

-LilyPopp