Chapter One

Irisa Lockwood

"Get the hell up, you're going to be late for school, Ris." Tyler yells at me as he throws open my bedroom door.

"Ughh." I groan, tossing my pillow at the door, hitting it as Tyler quickly closes it, making the pillow miss him just in time. He reopens it and glares in at me.

"Up, now. Dad isn't going to be happy if you're late on the first day of school, Ris." Tyler reminds me. "Remember last year?" He says, his brown eyes locked on my hazel-green ones.

I sit up. "Don't you dare remind him of that and if you ever bring that up to me again, I will hurt you, Ty." I tell him, and Tyler laughs.

"Sure, little sis. Sure." He says, "Now get your skinny ass out of that bed, and get dressed. We're leaving in 20 minutes, whether you're ready or not." Tyler closes the door, and I groan again.

"Yeah, well when I'm finally your heighth, you won't be talking to me like that!" I shout at him through the closed door, and stand up.

"Whatever!" Tyler calls back, and I grit my teeth as I quickly begin to get dressed, comb out my hair, and slip on my shoes.

I grab my jacket and purse, shoving my notebooks into it as well as a few pens and pencils, then grab my phone and charger, then head out of my room. Downstairs, mom and dad are talking, and dad hushes mom when he sees me.

"Hey, daddy." I hug him tightly, and he returns it before lightly turning me towards Tyler.

"School, baby girl." He tells me. "I have business to attend to right now."

"Yes, daddy." I say, and Tyler rolls his eyes, grabbing my arm.

"Come on, Ris. You take too long." He tells me, and I huff.

"And you're an ass."

"Hey, now. Mouth, Irisa." Dad says, giving me a look. "Get to school. Both of you."

I give him a two finger salute and yank my arm free from Tyler, shoving him out the front door.

I hear mom say, "She's getting to be just as violent as Tyler, everyday that passes, Richard. You need to control her. Get her involved with the Council. Maybe she's the one meant to be involved in this, not Tyler."

"She's not a first born son, Carol. You know how this works." Dad mutters, "I love her more than you could understand, I'll not put her life on the line for this town. She's meant to grow up and move away from here. She's not meant for this awful town."

Realizing I'm eavesdropping, I hurry out to the car, and climb into the front seat, buckling myself in. Tyler gives me a look.

"What?" I demand.

"Were you talking to mom and dad?" Tyler asks me.

"No." I cross my arms, and he shrugs, and starts the car.

----

At school, Tyler pulls into the parking lot, and turns off the car. He jumps out and strides over to Vicki Donovan, smiling at her with all of his perfectly straight, white teeth. I walk over, and Tyler gives me a glare. Vicki smiles.

"Ah, there's my favorite Lockwood." She jokes, and I smile back.

"Hey, stay away from Gilbert, alright?" Tyler asks me, and I return the glare he'd given me.

"Believe me, I want nothing to do with Jeremy, Tyler. Leave him out of this." I tell him, and Vicki looks between us.

"Did something happen?" She asks us, and I shake my head.