Chapter Thirteen

Irisa
"Stay away from Damon." Elena's voice is like a dagger as she grabs my wrist and shoves my back against the wall. "I don't know what the hell you've done to him, but you've got him acting like some love-sick puppy, and I honestly don't get why would want you anyways."
"Elena, stop it!" Caroline grabs Elena's shoulders, pulling her away from me. "What are you doing? She's just a little girl!"
"She has Damon under some kind of love spell, Caroline! He's not acting like himself at all! He was crying this morning!" Elena shouts, and shoves Caroline off of her to pin me against the wall again, making my bang my shoulder and elbow against the side of the lockers. I let out a gasp, anger rising inside of me.
"Elena, you're talking crazy. Love spells don't exist. She's not a witch." Caroline rolls her eyes, grabbing Elena's arm. "Let her go already. Damon's a big boy. He can take care of himself, Elena."
"Hey!" Matt's voice echoes through the hall, and he says, "Come on, Elena, let her go!" Elena huffs, slamming me against the wall before letting me go.
"You may have Levi and Damon and even Matt wrapped around your little finger, but you don't have me fooled." Elena says.
"At least I'm not the psycho bitch that Katherine was." I tell her. "How Damon and Stefan could ever be interested in you, I have no idea. You're Katherine 2.0." I rub my arm absentmindedly, and Matt touches my arm gently. "Don't touch me. Last I checked, you were screwing around with Caroline." I pull away from him. The look on his face turns to hurt and Elena narrows her eyes at me.
"That ring." She says. "That's the reason you're acting like this." She grabs my hand, trying to pull the ring off of my finger.
"Let go of me!" I scream, shoving at her.
"Come on, Elena!" Matt says, getting in between us. "Why won't you just leave her alone?"
"That ring is what's holding the memories of Rhiannon. That's the reason that Damon and Levi are so damn attached to her!" I feel Elena's elbow collide with my face, and I hit the floor hard, my head cracking against the linolium.
----
Levi
My phone rings loudly in my pocket, and I try to answer, but since the screen is busted I can't answer it. I look over at Stefan, and then his phone rings. He answers it, and Elena's hysterical voice begins to come through the phone.
"You what?" Stefan yells at her. "What the hell is wrong with you, Elena?"
"I didn't mean to hurt her, Stefan!" She shouts.
"Irisa?" I say, and Stefan nods, meeting my gaze. "Where is she?"
"Elena, is she at the hospital or the nurses office still?" Stefan asks.
"Their taking her to the hospital now." Elena says, crying into the phone. "It's that damn ring she wears, Stefan. I know it! It's what makes Levi and Damon act the way they do around her. She compared me to Katherine!"
"Stay where you are, Elena. I'll come to the school. As for Levi, I don't think you want to be anywhere near him if she's badly injured." Stefan hangs up, and I let out a sigh. "They were fighting," Stefan explains. "At least, Elena was fighting with Irisa. Irisa doesn't pick fights. She just finishes them usually. Matt was in between them, and Elena was trying to take Irisa's ring."
"Do something about Elena before she becomes Katherine." I say, and then I look over at the stairs. "Damon, I know you're listening, you should at least come with me to check on her."
"Why would I do that? I know you're going to heal her, and I'd hate to get in between the two of you." Damon says, and I sigh again.
"Damon, I'm not going to ask again. Get the hell out of your room, and come with me. This is your last chance to make things right with her before I stake you myself. That's not a threat. That is a promise. You broke my phone, and I can't even answer it when it's an important call now. What if it was a life or death situation? What if she was out there, dying? Wouldn't you want to at least know?" I ask, walking towards the stairs.
"No." Damon says, coming out of his room. "Maybe if she did die and she came back in another life, in another body it would be me she loved instead of you." The look on his face is one I recognize. It's the same look he got right after he found out Katherine was dead.
"So she's already dead to you?" I ask him quietly, and Damon just stands there. "I'm going to do you a favor-"
"Don't bother. We both know I'd have to repay you, and I don't want to be in your debt, Leviticus." Damon narrows his eyes.
"No, you don't have to repay me. Just stop being a jerk to her. That's all I ask. I think you and I both know Irisa doesn't deserve that, Damon. She doesn't have Rhiannon's memories of you. She doesn't know what it's like to love you. So do not punish her for that." Damon's face smooths out as he realizes I'm right. "She does have a different sort of love for you, though. A love that is pure, Damon. She told you something she never told anyone else, and not because you compelled her to tell you. Damon, Irisa might not be Rhiannon, but she is herself. She's Irisa. She is something to you, whether you want to let yourself believe it or not. She's not Katherine, she's not Rhiannon, and she's not Elena. I think for you, she's hope of something greater than those three put together, am I right?" The look on his face tells me I'm right. "Instead of hurting her, come with me to the hospital, and heal her. Make her feel safe for a change, and maybe then whatever reason you're really in this town for will feel meaningless and you'll truly feel at home here. Because you will have done something good. Because whether you wish to believe it or not, Damon Salvatore, there is something good inside of you. If there weren't, you wouldn't have fallen for Irisa in the first place." With that, I glance over at Stefan, give him a nod, and walk out the front door.
I hear a whoosh, and Damon is standing next to me. "What are we waiting for?" Damon asks, and we get into my Charger.
The hospital is crowded, and Mayor Lockwood rushes over to me when he sees the two of us walk into the hospital.
"How is she?" I ask him, and he shakes his head, tears in his eyes.
"They won't tell me anything, Levi." Mayor Lockwood says, and glances at Damon. "Mr. Salvatore."
"Mayor." Damon says, nodding at him.
"I'll see what I can find out." I tell him, and walk over to the doctor standing in front of the door to the room Irisa is in. "Hello, tell me how Irisa Lockwood is doing." I stare him in the eyes, compelling hm, and the doctor shakes his head.
"We lost her." The doctor admits. "She flatlined, and then she miraculously came back. On her own. She's a living, breathing miracle. We'll know more after we do some tests." He walks away, and I feel as if my own heart stops again.
I look over at Damon, and his eyes are wide. Mayor Lockwood had went down the hall, and I open the door to Irisa's room. Inside, her eyes are closed, and her hair is caked with dried blood. She looks the same as this morning when I dropped her off at school, yet she looks relatively different. Her eyelids flutter open, and I feel the door nudge further open behind me. Damon had also walked inside and I feel his hand grip my arm when he sees her. Her eyes had turned toward us, and gone is any of the brown that had once been in her eyes, making her eyes no longer hazel. Now, all that exists is green. She smiles when she sees us, and I pull my arm free from Damon, rushing over to her.
"Irisa." I mumble, pulling her into my arms.
"Hey." She says. "Why am I here? What happened?" She asks, and she pulls back, looking over at Damon. "Get over here. My throat is dry and I really don't want to have to yell to be heard."
"We're vampires." I remind her quietly, and she shrugs. Damon walks slowly towards her, and she grabs his hand, pulling him down onto the bed next to us. "Irisa, do you honestly not remember what happened?" I ask her.
She shrugs, and I sigh. "What's wrong, Levi? Did I do something wrong?"
"No, Irisa. You didn't." I tell her.
Irisa looks over at Damon, and she whispers, "Why do you look so sad?"
Damon looks between us, and I nod at him. "Tell her Damon."
"Tell me what?" Irisa now sounds upset herself, and Damon reaches over to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear. Irisa smiles, "You're not being mean to me. That's unusual. You haven't been this nice to me since we first met."
"Irisa. Damon is going to tell you something. It might be upsetting. So please, just try to stay calm." I take her hand, and nod at Damon.
"You had a fight with Elena." Damon tells her, and Irisa rolls her eyes. "Obviously this isn't the first time, Irisa. But, she hurt you. You hit your head."
"Oh, that explains why I'm here. Come to think of it, my head hurts." Irisa says, nodding. "But... everything kind of hurts."
"Yes, that's because something happened, Irisa. What happened to you before, the intracerebral hemorrhage, it happened again, Irisa." Damon says quietly. "But the doctors don't realize that, because you bled too quickly. You had my blood and Levi's blood in your system at that time."
"So both of your blood healed me." Irisa smiles, and Damon looks over at me, realizing that she's not understanding.
"Irisa, our blood healed you because you died." I tell her. "You did with vampire blood in your system." Her smile slips off of her face, and she looks between Damon and me for a moment before she begins to shake. "Irisa, look at me." She does, and I lightly touch her cheek. "It's alright, I promise, it's alright. I'm right here. Damon is too. We're going to get through this. Together."
"I'm dead." Irisa whispers, tears falling down her cheeks now, and I realizing I'm not helping her at all.
"Damon, do something." I beg him quietly, looking over at him.
"Irisa." Damon says, and she looks over at him, "I'm sorry." He whispers. "For everything. I love you." Then, he pulls her into his arms, and she stops crying, just clinging to him.
After a few minutes, I whisper, "She needs to feed soon. Should we start her off on blood bags or should we take her out hunting on some human?"
"Blood bag for now." Damon says. "She's not ready yet."
"I'll go get her one."
"Bring her more than one. If she's anything like Rhiannon at all, she's not going to be satisfied with one, Levi." Damon meets my gaze. "As for her ring, I hope it works or we're going to have to find a witch who will make her a daylight ring." I nod. I stand to leave the room, and I hear Irisa's quiet breathing, indicating she'd fallen asleep. I cross towards the door. "And Levi-" Damon starts.
"Yes?" I ask him.
"She's sired to you. She only listened to me because you told me to do something for her." I look over at him, and his blue eyes are calm instead of enraged. "Thank you for bringing me. For...trusting me. I'll buy you a new phone. You were right."
I nod, and say "Thank you." I leave the room.
----
Elena Gilbert
"I said I was sorry, Stefan." I cross my arms over my chest, glaring at him.
"Well sorry doesn't change the fact that you hurt her. I got a call from Levi, by the way. Just so you know, Elena, Irisa had another intracerebral hemorrhage." Stefan explains, and I feel my lips part in shock. "She died, Elena. With Damon and Levi's blood in her system."
"So she's-"
"Not yet. She's in transition. But Damon and Levi are going to make sure she drinks some blood. But luckily, she's sired to Levi and not Damon, or we'd be in for hell like we were with Vicki." Stefan says.
"Oh god. I killed her." I say, and Stefan nods.
"But, also luckily, no one knows that. She'll just be a walking miracle, Elena." Stefan shakes his head. "I get that you don't like the way Damon is acting about her, but I wish you would leave her alone, Elena. Irisa is not the kind of girl you want to mess with. If she would have fought back, you would be the one that died, not Irisa. And you wouldn't be coming back as a vampire because you had no vampire blood in your system. So I recommend staying as far away from her as possible."
"She was supposed to come over tonight."
"Something tells me her plans have changed, Elena." Stefan huffs. "Levi and Damon are not just going to let her around you right now. In transition, she'll need human blood. After, she'll need even more. You're a walking target right now. Hang out with Bonnie and Caroline and leave Irisa alone." With that, he leaves the parking lot, and Bonnie walks over.
"So, he's mad huh?" Bonnie asks.
"Ugh, you have no idea!" I exclaim. "I really hurt Irisa, but she'll be okay. That bitch gets off too easily. Obviously, Damon and Levi are with her right now."
We get in the car and on the way she tells me about what's been going on with her and Caroline and the necklace they were fighting with might be evil.
"And then I wake up in the remains of the old Fell Church every time. Emily is always there and it's scaring me." Bonnie explains.
"You think this all has something to do with the necklace?" I ask her.
"I'm sure of it. The dreams started when I started wearing the necklace." She says. "Do you believe in ghosts?" She asks.
"A few weeks ago I would have said no, but now I have no idea." I admit.
"I think I'm being haunted." Bonnie admits.
"Have you talked to your Grams about it?" I ask.
"She's going to tell me to embrace it. I don't want to embrace it. I want to get rid of it." Bonnie pulls the car over by the side of the road.
"Bonnie, What are you doing?" I ask as she gets out of the car.
"Something I should've done awhile ago." She says, grabbing the necklace that Bonnie had always described as ugly and throws it into the nearby field. She walks back around and gets into the driver's seat.
"Is your Grams going to be happy about that?" I ask her, cautiously.
"Grams isn't the one being haunted by a 150 year old witch, is she?" Bonnie asks.
I laugh. "Well, it's gone now." Maybe she and Caroline would get over their spat now.
When we pull into my driveway, a wave of nerves settle over me.
"Hey." Caroline says when she sees me and Bonnie, her voice soft.
I smile awkwardly, and give a half-wave. Bonnie coughs awkwardly and silence fills the room.
"Well, I'll start. Elena, I'm sorry. I still don't agree with you and what you did, but I know you don't agree with me either, and we probably never will but I miss us being friends so I'm willing to let it go if you are." Caroline tells me, and I nod, smiling and opening my arms for her to hug me.
"I missed you." I say happily.
"Of course you did." Bonnie looks at Caroline and Caroline sighs. "Fine, Bonnie I'm sorry too. If you want the ugly ass necklace, it's yours." She says, clearly still angry at both of us but is trying her best.
"Would you hate me if I told you I sorta threw it away?" Bonnie asks, and I sigh.
"You could've left that out, Bon." I mumble.
"YOU THREW IT AWAY!?" Caroline yells angrily. "Why didn't you just give it back to me?" She asks.
"Why? So you could give it to Damon?" Bonnie scoffs.
"What's wrong with Damon having it?"
"Screw Damon." Caroline says. "He was more interested in Irisa anyways." caroline admits.
"In Irisa? Why is everything about Irisa?" I demand.
Why would he be asking about Irisa?
"So are we doing manicures or not?" Caroline asks, trying desperately to change the subject.
"My kits in my bag." Bonnie says, signaling for her to get it.
Caroline walks over to Bonnie's purse and starts to speak to me again. "So what's going on with you and Stefan?" She asks, "Is it like, something permanent?" She asks, clearly wanting to know if he was available.
"I don't know, Caroline." I say, getting irritated. "Things are complicated."
The three of us share knowing glances.
"Ugh, why are you such a little liar, Bonnie?" Caroline demands rudely.
"Caroline!" I say scoldingly.
Caroline raises her eyebrows as she holds out the necklace Bonnie had thrown into the field not an hour and a half ago.
"I swear, I don't know how that got there!" Bonnie exclaims.
"It's true. I watched her throw it into the field." My eyes furrow.
"Then explain it." Caroline demands.
"Emily?" Bonnie suggests.
"You think she did this?" Elena asks.
"What the hell are you guys talking abot?" Caroline asks.
"It must've been her." Bonnie answers, not answering Caroline's question at all.
"Hello? You guys do this to me all the time!" Caroline whines loudly.
"That's not true!" I defend.
"It totally is!"
"Only because you don't listen!" Bonnie shouts.
"When do I not listen?" Caroline asks.
"Okay. Fine, I'm a witch." Bonnie says.
"And don't we all know it." Caroline insults Bonnie without even feeling bad about it.
"See? I'm trying to tell you something important and you don't even hear it!" Bonnie insists loudly, her eyes wide.
"If you're a witch, then prove it. Let's have a seance." Caroline says.
"Caroline, that's the dumbest idea you've ever had," I say, trying to help Bonnie.
"If Emily is messing with Bonnie, she has some serious explaining to do." Caroline insists. It was clear that Caroline was just mocking Bonnie, but maybe there was some truth to her words. A seance, though?
"Caroline, I do not want to be haunted by dead bitches." I say as Caroline walks to the cabinets and starts pulling out candles and lighters.
"Come on, if it works, then Bonnie can figure out what the hell Emily wants. If it doesn't, then nothing happen and we forget about it." Caroline encourages.
"Whatever." I mutter.
So, we all link hands, and start this stupid idea off.
"Bonnie, call to her." Caroline says.
Bonnie sighs, then begins to talk. "Emily? You there?" She asks.
Um...I giggle.
"What?" Bonnie asks, offended.
"Seriously? Emily? You there? That's all you got?" Caroline mocks.
"Fine! Emily, I call on you. I know you have a message, I'm here to listen." Bonnie says.
"Well, looks like no one is home, and this isn't going to work." I pretend to be upset, and stand up. Just as my hands pull free from Bonnie's and Caroline's, the flames grow huge.
"Did that just...?" I ask.
"Yeah, that just happened." Caroline answers.
The room grows cold. This was a bad idea.
"I'm sure it's just the AC." Bonnie explains.
"Ask her to show you another sign." Caroline whispers.
"Are you insane? We've had just about enough signs. Cold air and fire is enough for me!" I yell.
"Bonnie." Caroline encourages.
"Emily, if you're here. Please, show me a sign." Bonnie asks.
The windows suddenly burst open and wind nearly knocks me over as the lightly go out.
"Guys! Turn on the lights! I can't see!" Bonnie screams in fear.
I flip the light on, and see Bonnie against the wall, and Caroline reaching her hand out to find something to gab onto.
"Guys, the necklace is gone!" Bonnie says with fear in her voice.
"Maybe Jeremy is home." Elena says. Caroline and Bonnie walk behind me, but as soon as Caroline makes it out of the room, the door slams shut in front of Bonnie.
"Guys! Open the door!" Bonnie cries.
We try to open the door but it's locked.
"Bonnie you open the door!" Caroline yells, and Bonnie bangs on the door.
"It won't budge! Help me!" She calls, and we start banging on it as Bonnie screams. Then, suddenly the door flies open, slamming against the wall.
Bonnie looks down at the floor, completely calm.
"Bonnie, are you okay?" I ask.
"Unbelievable." Caroline mutters, rolling her eyes. "I'm out of here." She walks out of the house, slamming the door behind her.
"Bonnie?" I touch her shoulder, feeling how icy cold she is. "What's going on?"
Her head shoots in my direction. It startles me, and she says, "I must go."
Looking behind me in the mirror, I see a reflection. Only, it's not Bonnie's I see. It's- "Emily-" I gasp. Without a word, she darts down the stairs, and I call "Bonnie!" She continues down the stairs. "EMILY!" I yell. She turns towards me, looking demonic.
"I can't let him have it. It must be destroyed" She says, and walks out the door.
I dial Stefan's number, tears in my eyes.
"I know already." Stefan says. "Something is happening with Irisa. She is headed for the cemetery and the ruins of Fell's Church. Damon was headed there. Levi couldn't stop her. He said she was almost-"
"In a trance?" I demand into the phone.
"Yes-" Stefan says.
"So is Bonnie. Hurry, Stefan." I hang up, driving towards Fell cemetery. I knew that she would be there because Bonnie had been taken there in her dreams. When I arrive there, I see Damon, Stefan, Levi, and Bonnie possessed by Emily, and there, standing in the circle with Bonnie is Irisa, her hair blown out around her.
"You shouldn't be here, Elena!" Damon shouts at me.
"Neither should you!" I yelll.
"These people don't deserve this, they shouldn't have to know such evil." Emily says.
"Evil? What Evil?" I ask.
"I swear to God, Emily, if you do this..." Damon says as his threat trails off.
"Emily, what did you do?" Stefan asks.
"To save one, I had to save them all." Emily states.
"Save who?" I ask.
"I won't let them out." Emily says.
"I don't care about them, I just want Katherine." Damon cries. My heart sinks. Katherine.
"I won't put these people through this." Emily says.
"Please..."Damon begs.
"Damon, you can't unlease 27 vengeful vampires on a town of innocent people!" Stefan says.
"Innocent? They killed 27 pople! These people aren't innocent!" Damon yells.
"She's one of them now." Emily says, her eyes on Irisa. "But she's different. She's not one. She's three. All in one. She's a balance where the balance must be restored. She's the only pure, innocent one. The rest of them are mostly innocent."
"No!" Damon yells again. His eyes are wide and his nostrils flare, but I can see as he stares at Irisa that he knows she's special, something truly has changed within her.
"Whatever happened here, happened hundreds of years ago! You're blaming innocent people!" I yell at him.
"There's nothing innocent about you people! I don't care about anybody in this town but Irisa and Katherine! And you're no exception. Their the only two that matter." He shoots at me. His words sting, but I can't shake them. I shouldn't care. Why do I care so much? "Please don't do this!" He begs Emily.
"I must." she says, and lightly touches Irisa's hand, then backs away from her slightly. "Incendia!' Emily yells, as the fire circles around her and Irisa.
Damon looks manic as he screams "No!" and Emily sends the crystal into the sky, and it bursts. The fire dies down, and Emily is gone. Bonnie is back in control of her body once again, and Damon's face is murderous as anger appears on his face.
"Damon, no!" I scream and then he charges at Bonnie, tearing into her neck with his teeth, draining her of blood. "Bonnie!" I scream.
But, before I can run to her, Irisa stands up, shoving Damon off of her, and suddenly, her fangs emerge, burying themselves into Damon's neck.
Stefan rushes over to Bonnie, putting his ear to her chest, listening to hear if she is still breathing and says, "She's alive, but barely. I can save her." He bites into his wrist, putting it to Bonnie's lips. She begins to heal.
I look back at Damon and Irisa to find Levi pulling her away from Damon, and Damon staring at her in shock. Irisa is shaking uncontrollably, and reaches towards her, gently touching her cheek.
"I'm sorry." He whispers, and she shakes her head.
"You hurt Bonnie." Irisa whispers, pulling away from Damon, wiping her mouth off. She rushes over to Stefan, Bonnie and me, bending down next to Bonnie, and then, she does something that she shouldn't be able to do as a vampire. She takes away any left over pain Bonnie has with magic. Stefan's eyes widen, and Levi grabs Irisa's hand, turning it over.
"What was that?" He asks, and Bonnie's eyes open as she begins to gasp, shaking in terror. I stroke her hair, leading her to my car. "Irisa-"
She shakes her head, and I look back at Stefan as he joins Bonnie and me at the car, and I help Bonnie inside.
-----