Chapter Two

Matt Donovan

Tyler and Irisa Lockwood walk into school, and I hear Tyler scolding her, telling her what an idiot she had been at the Grill, accepting drinks from a strange man. I glance over at Risa, noting how she's wearing sunglasses and has a hand pressed to her head as Tyler yammers on about how their father would kill him if he knew Tyler had nearly let something happen to her. She's clearly hungover. I feel a bit confused as I glance over at her, especially after what happened last night. But, I had also been really surprised when I'd seen her yesterday. It had been 3 months since I'd last seen her, after all. Somehow, her skin had gotten even tanner, her hair had gotten much longer, and she was no longer the too thin, tiny little girl I remembered from before she'd left for the summer. But, she still acts the same. Quiet, shy, pretends to be strong, like she doesn't need anyone. Though, it's still me she comes too when she's upset. Like, I'm the only one she trusts anymore. But, her kissing me was new. I watch as she takes off the sunglasses, shaking her head at her brother.

I stride over and Tyler slaps me a high five, then glance at Risa. She looks back at me nervously, as if she thinks I'm going to rat on her to her brother. That wouldn't be good for either of us right now, so I play it cool.

"Hey, you feeling any better, Risa?" I ask her, and she narrows her eyes.

"If that's a trick question, you can fuck off, Mattie." Risa says, and walks away.

"Holy shit, she just blew you off, Donovan." Tyler laughs, slapping me on the back. "What did you do to piss her off?"

"Lay off, Ty." I shove him, and Tyler chuckles. "Hey, um what exactly is up with your sister, man?"

"What do you mean?" Tyler asks, suddenly serious.

"She wasn't like this before she left, Tyler. I mean, she was messed up over Jeremy and everything, but she didn't act like this." Tyler slams me up against the wall.

"She was never messed up, Matt. Don't you ever say that." Tyler growls, and suddenly Risa is pulling at Tyler's arm, trying to make him back down. "If you ever say that again, it's you and me outside, Donovan." Tyler hisses as Risa shoves Tyler back and then smacks him hard across the face. Tyler's face whips back, and he clutches his cheek. Blood drips down his nose. His mouth drops open as he stares at his little sister, for the first time really standing up to him.

"Do not threaten Matt, Tyler." Risa says, her voice very calm. "Or it will be you and me outside, big brother." She smiles delicately. "I warned you, Tyler. I'll really kick your ass."

Tyler wipes at the blood on his nose, and suddenly laughs. "I'll give you this, Irisa. You are getting stronger, but don't think you're stronger than your big brother, sweetie. It'll only get you hurt in the long run."

"Office, Mr. Lockwood. Now." The principal says, crossing his arms, and Tyler sighs, following him to the office.

"Since when can you hit like that?" I say quietly when Risa turns to look at me.

"Since when do you let my brother kick your ass?" Risa returns crossing her arms. "I honestly thought you were going to get hurt, Matt."

"I wasn't trying to set him off, and I never meant you were messed up... just that you were feeling messed up over the Jeremy mess." I say, and Risa raises an eyebrow. "I figured you heard me say it."

"I did. I knew what you meant, Mattie. Even if Ty didn't. Don't set him off like that. Next time I might not be around to save your ass." She starts to walk away, but stops, turning back around to face me. "Go to the party at the falls tonight." She says quietly, her eyes darting around to make sure no one is paying attention to us. "I heard Elena say she'll be there."