Chapter || Twenty-Two

"The person you are trying to reach has not set up a voice mailbox. Goodbye."

"I don't know how old you are Runner but you are old enough to have a voice mailbox set up. What if you miss an important call and they need to leave you a message kind of like this . . . and by the way, I don't appreciate being ignored. You know how weird it feels to send a recording? I'm calling you back in ten minutes and you better pick up . . . please pick up, it's been two days too long and I miss you . . . Please."

T E N   M I N U T E S   L A T E R

" . . . . "

"Runner?"

" . . . . "

"Can we please rewind to two days ago so I can fix what I did? Runner, I'm sorry."

"I shouldn't have picked up."

"I'm glad you did though and again I'm sorry. I'm sorry for yelling at you . . . again. It's rude to yell, I know."

"You are a very rude person."

"I know."

"And I'm starting not to like you anymore."

"Runner please. I'm very, honestly and truthfully sorry. I don't want you to not like me. I like you and I like you liking me. So please keep liking me . . . forever."

" . . . . "

" . . . . "

"Will you stop yelling at me and talk calmly?"

"I will."

" . . . . "

" . . . . "

"Fine . . . I won't ignore your calls anymore."

"Oh thank goodness. You really had me nervous there. So, how was your day?"

--   --   --