XXXIX

Isabella

"Ughhh...... owwwwww."

Oh my God. Why was I in so much pain?

I groaned as my body felt heavier, and a lot more sore, against the cool sheets underneath me. I wasn't completely awake, but I was aware. My conscious was slowly waking up for what felt like the first time in awhile.

It took a few minutes, but after getting my breathing under control I was able to carefully open my eyes. It's never taken this much effort for me to wake up before, so it makes me wonder how long I've been asleep. My brain was fuzzy, so I couldn't remember the last time I was actually conscious. I was confused, sore, and very cold. I moved my body slightly and felt a soft but firm surface beneath me, meaning I was either on a bed or a very comfortable couch.

Of course everything was inevitably blurry at first. I had to blink a few times before I was able to clear up my vision, but even then it wasn't the best. Still, I squinted my eyes as I observed my surroundings. It didn't take me long to realize I didn't recognize where I was. Everything was super neat and clean, it was a very spacious room, and the sun was shining brightly through the thin white curtains. I noticed three doors in the room, which I'm assuming are a bathroom, a closet, and the exit.

Once my brain started to register that I was in a completely unfamiliar setting and it wasn't a good thing, the red flags started going off. I know my memory wasn't the best at the moment, but I knew for a fact that I've never been here before. So why was I here?

I slowly began sitting up and immediately felt a sharp pain in my lower back. I winced and froze, taking several deep breaths to calm myself before I could fully sit up. The pain was still there but it wasn't as prominent. It freaked me out that I had no idea where it came from, but I guess I would just have to ignore it for now. At least until I'm able to figure out exactly what was going on.

I climbed out of the bed and used the bedpost to help me balance since my legs felt so weak. I closed my eyes and rolled my neck a few times before I started walking on my own. I slowly made my way over to the door on the farthest side of the room, which I assumed was my way out. I grabbed the knob and jiggled it a few times before realizing it was locked. I frowned and stepped back.

"What the hell?" I mumbled. It was the first thing I had spoken out loud since waking up, and it made me realize how dry my throat was. My lips were uncomfortably chapped too, which was one of my biggest pet peeves. I would come back to the locked door later, but right now I needed water and chapstick.

I headed for the second door and was relieved to find out that it wasn't locked. I stepped inside and flicked on the light switch, nodding my head slowly as I looked around. It was obviously the bathroom, a very nice bathroom might I add, but I really wasn't focused on the quality at the moment. I immediately began searching the drawers and cabinets solely for some chapstick, but I couldn't help notice how stocked up everything in here was. It was weird. Even though I found some cherry flavored chapstick in a little basket underneath the sink, which was the second place I looked, I kept snooping around anyways. I recognized a majority of the products in here because they were identical to the products I used now, and even stuff I've used in the past.

I slid onto the floor and furrowed my eyebrows as I started thinking. I was trying so hard to remember where I was. I thought maybe I had just forgotten since I had just woken up and my brain wasn't 100% yet, but it wasn't possible. I don't remember coming here, wherever here was, at all. So who brought me here? And why?