P R E L U D E

P R E L U D E:

ONE YEAR BEFORE THE ATTACK

Y E A R - 2 2 3 2

CRIES ECHOED IN the white pristine room. Amelia Marcus-Barnes had tears in her eyes as she looked up at the ceiling. Sweat glistened on her forehead, her breathing uneven, heart pounding in an accelerated speed.

She felt a warm hand over her cold ones. " You did it baby girl."

Thomas Barnes stared lovingly at his wife. He raised her weak hand up to his lips and gave it a chaste kiss.

" It's a girl.", the nurse announced, smiling softly at the couple.

Amelia laughed weakly as she stared up at her beautiful newborn daughter. The nurse then slowly handed her the newborn.

Amelia laughed as she held her baby. All those hours spent on pushing, screaming and crying finally payed off.

" What should we call her?", she whispered as she looked up at her husband.

Tom smiled as he inched closer. " What about Amelia Jr."

The woman snorted. " I've spent hours screaming and pushing for this girl and all you could think of was Amelia Jr.?"

He raised his hands up in mock surrender. " Hey you asked, I answered. I'm not really good with names."

She chuckled. " I could tell."

Silence then enveloped the two as they thought of a name.

" What about Anika?", She suggested.

" Anika? Like your grandmother?"

She nodded. " Yeah..."

He grinned. " Anika Barnes.", he tested. " Sounds good to me."

Nothing could express the way they were feeling as they stared at their newborn daughter. Anika Barnes was going to be a strong, independent woman like her mother. Intelligent and brave like her father. She was going to be their legacy.

Y E A R - 2 2 3 3

[USS Kelvin Bridge]

" REPORT.", CAPTAIN ROBAU stated as he sat on the captain's chair.

"Still out of visual range. We'll be there in twenty seconds.", a starfleet officer replied.