VI

C H A P T E R S I X:

ANYA SAT BESIDE Leonard in worry, fiddling with her hands as she stared ahead

ANYA SAT BESIDE Leonard in worry, fiddling with her hands as she stared ahead. The cadets, including the instructors were called to a hearing. Anya did not know what this meeting was about. Spock wouldn't tell her, which made the brunette anxious.

She suddenly felt a hand grip her own. Leonard Mccoy looked at the brunette in worry. She offered him a small smile before moving her attention to Admiral Barnett.

" This session has been called to resolve a troubling matter. James T. Kirk, step forward.", he announced.

Anya's eyes widened as Jim stood up from his seat and went to go up on front. Whispers and murmurs filled the room as Jim walked down the stairs.

Barnett continued. "Cadet Kirk, evidence has been submitted to this council, suggesting that you violated the ethical code of conduct pursuant to Regulation One-Seven point three of the Starfleet Code. Is there anything you care to say before we begin, sir?"

"Yes, I believe I have the right to face my accuser directly.", Jim answered. Anya watched as Spock rose from his seat.

" Oh no...", Anya mumbled.

"Step forward, please.", Admiral Barnett ordered. " This is Commander Spock. He's one of our most distinguished graduates. He's programmed the Kobayashi Maru exam for the last four years. Commander?", he finished, nodding at Spock to begin.

Spock turned to Jim. "Cadet Kirk, you somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine to the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test."

"Your point being?", Jim asked, unsure to what he meant.

"In academic vernacular, you cheated.", Barnett clarified. Gasps and whispers filled the room once again.

"Let me ask you something, I think we all know the answer to. The test itself is a cheat, isn't it? You programmed it to be unwinnable."

Anya sighed. " He's literally digging himself into a deeper grave."

"Your argument precludes the possibility of a no-win scenario."

"I don't believe in no-win scenarios."

"Then, not only did you violate the rules, you also failed to understand the principle lesson.", Spock stated.

"Please, enlighten me.", Jim replied.

"You of all people should know, Cadet Kirk. A Captain cannot cheat death."