8

I escaped into Claire's car, Cole bouncing in the backseat and blabbering about how I was right and that he had a good day.

I sent him a small smile, trying to ignore the stinging words said by Eva and struggling through my emotions caused by Roman.

"So how was your day, Rori?" Cole's voice distracted me and yet I was flooded with how exhausting and bad my day had been.

As we drove down the street, I answered him. "My day was fine."

I glanced in the visor mirror and saw him frown a little, but he didn't say anything, sitting back in his seat and relaxing.

My eyes flicked over to Claire and I realized she wore a stressed expression on her face. My eyes moved back to the road and similar to the day before, we should've been home, but instead were pulling into a parking lot.

"Claire..." I started, voice wary. "Where are we?"

"Now I know you've been doing...alright lately, but you still have to keep going-"

"To therapy?!" I cut in, outraged. "We've been over this! I don't need it anymore and no matter what nothing will help!"

Claire fidgeted nervously in the driver's seat and murmured, "It's for the best, now please just do as I ask and go to your appointment with Dr. Barlow."

I gritted my teeth, so hard I thought they'd crack and flung the car door open. I left my bag in the car and stomped into the small clinic, fuming. Claire never went with me anymore because Barlow said she was just distracting me, which she did because I hated that she and Dean made me go so I spent most sessions glaring at her if she came in.

So I was more than a little surprised as a hand gripped my arm before I flung open the clinic door.

"Rori," came Cole's voice from beside me. "Can I come?"

I groaned, knowing that Cole was just trying to be helpful, but I knew that I wouldn't make 'progress' as Barlow said. I looked down and carefully shook my head.

He frowned and said, "why not?"

"Because Dr. Barlow would tell me I'm too distracted and tell you to leave anyways. If it makes you feel better I'll tell you all about the appointment later." I smiled and that seemed to please Cole as he smiled back and nodded, heading back to the car.

I grimaced back at the clinic door and then flung it open, practically cracking the polished tile with my feet as I slipped inside.

**

"So how've you been, Rori?" Dr. Barlow questioned as I sat in the chair, rather than the lounge couch.

"Fine, everything is fine," I murmured, forcing away the scowl that was sure to overtake my face as I glanced at Barlow.

"Well, that's good. How's school going?" he asked in that calm professional way that only a therapist could.

I refrained from groaning. "School's only just started so it's good."

"Okay. What about the nightmares?"

That was fast..

"They're fine," I murmured, clasping my hands and looking anywhere at Dr. Barlow's all-seeing eyes.

"According to your mother--"

" Claire," I corrected, barely holding back a snarl. Dr. Barlow knew better than to call my adoptive parents mother and father.

"Claire," he corrected, eyeing me carefully, "said that you've still been having them regularly. You need to start taking the medication I've prescribed you."