35

"I am Tidus Reem, your host. Now let the festivities begin! To the dining hall!" Tidus' voice rang out and the noise level burst forth as everyone began to file through the open door on the right.

I gripped Roman's arm tightly and leaned up to his ear. I was slightly nervous now as many supernatural pressed close and I wasn't sure what was, well, what except for the Lupus because I knew our scent of wolf, the other's were foreign and mysterious.

"Roman, what is Tidus?" I whispered, extremely low in his ear.

When I backed away to take in Roman's expression, he looked bewildered. "You don't know?"

"I don't know what creatures are what here," I murmured. "Hello, this is all new, remember?!"

Roman was instantly apologetic. "Oh, right. I'm sorry, Rori. Well, Tidus is a rare one for his kind. He falls into the category of Witches, but he, himself, is a Warlock."

"Why is that such a rare thing?" I asked, curious.

"Well, for one, Witches usually aren't male. Ever. And when they are, they're known as Warlocks who are extremely powerful. In Tidus' case he is no exception to that power. They also don't usually live alone like Tidus either, they have clans like we have packs," Roman explained, his eyes seeming a bit tight and strained as he stared at a supernatural that was close to me. "Witches carry a very... spicy scent, like the smell of lighting because of their magic."

I stifled a giggle at his explanation of their scents and smiled instead. "And the..."

I trailed off as I realized we'd arrived into the dining room, which was just as lavish as the rest of the mansion and the table was long and large to fit all the guests. It also was decorated in numerous foods, wines and as I inhaled, blood, for what I now assumed were Vampires. As I tilted my head back I noticed tons of hanging lanterns as well as candles that were sticking from the sides of the walls, illuminating the area. A large fireplace sat near the head of the table and servers stood off to the sides, waiting for us to take our seats.

I hadn't even realized I'd stopped moving until someone shoved me forward roughly. A small, involuntary growl slid out of my mouth and an even louder snarl ripped from Roman as he'd seen the whole act and had been patiently waiting for me to finish gazing about. I turned to see who'd shoved me and instantly felt fur try to prickle through the back of my neck at the sight of the pasty, fanged being glowering at me. I couldn't place the feeling as I stared at what could've been just a pasty human aside from the fangs, the extreme scent of blood and glowing yellow eyes, but I knew I felt off about the Vampire.

I forced myself to remain calm though as the familiar ache that came with a shift raced through me and once I was calm enough I stepped back.

"Excuse me," I said, softly and as non-threating as I could muster because I sure as hell felt like ripping the Vampire apart, but the rules of the Annual Gathering rang through me: no fights or kills.

The Vampire actually had the decency to look shocked, but simply strode past as Roman's hands tightened around my waist. He leaned down and gently kissed the side of my face.

"Sorry about that. Gatherings are about as civil as that thankfully, outside this mansion things are much more...bloody," he rumbled, not releasing me until we were seated at the giant table, surrounded by Lupus.

"Why...did I feel that way?" I asked quietly, choosing to ignore Roman's bloody comment and focusing on my uneasiness about the feelings I had experienced towards the Vampire.

"Like you wanted to rip him apart?" he said, carefully watching me.

I nodded, still feeling uncomfortable about what I now pinned as hate and rage that had flowed through me.