9

I was running, the forest was dark, but not in a sinister way.

It accepted me and I blended with it, rippling like water through the pine trees and guided by the glittering, glowing stars above.

My paws churned up the earthen ground I ran over and the scent of the forest flooded my senses, my tail whisked behind me, and my furry ears swiveled around catching the sounds of rodents scurrying through brush and deer stampeding through the trees, but my focus was on the graceful pawpads through the forest, the heavy breathing, the snarls and whimpers of a beast.

I felt them. They touched my mind, brushing it with emotions and images that crowded in my head. I wove through the trees, showing them I was getting closer and closer as they felt my presence begin to invade them.

I jumped over a fallen log with ease and burst through a bush and smacked right into something furry. I knew it was one of my fellow beings and we wrestled together.

Soon I felt the rest of them. Their presence could be felt surrounding me and my whole body vibrated with the urge of being accepted, being one with them.

I looked up and saw them.

I saw wolves.

**

I awoke rather startled, my heart was flying and my breathing was incredibly rapid. My vision was blurry and I blinked to try and see better.

"Rori?"

I gripped my shirt tightly and forced myself to calm down. My vision cleared and I spotted Cole eyeing me carefully at the end of my bed.

"Are you okay?" he asked quietly, his eyebrows scrunched together in obvious worry.

I swallowed, mouth completely dry and recalled my dream of being a wolf. It had felt so right and felt so real. My whole body seemed alive with energy.

I nodded at Cole anyways though and motioned for him to leave so I could shower.

He left immediately and I slid out of bed, rushing into the shower. I was so confused as to why I had felt so right in my dream and I wondered why my mind had even bothered conjuring the dream, but I was happy I hadn't experienced another nightmare.

I scrubbed my hair and body in record time and rinsed myself off, getting out of the shower in what had to the fastest shower I'd ever had because I'd been so damn distracted.

I hurried and slapped on my undergarments, jeans, a tight, black tee and a black zip-up hoodie. I returned to the bathroom, thinking of how I might see Roman today, and applied the complete works of make-up in an attempt to look good. I hadn't worn make-up in a long time and seeing myself with it on made me feel better.

Once I was finished and had my bag, I skipped down the stairs and found Dean and Cole in the kitchen talking.

The minute I'd entered however the conversation stopped and they both stared at me.

"What?" I asked, feeling weird under their stares.

"Nothing, you look good today, Rori," Dean murmured, setting a plate of food on the kitchen counter. "I'm off to get ready for work."

"Uh, thanks," I muttered and sat down on the stool next to Cole.

"So was that a nightmare this morning?" he asked quietly as I ripped into my french toast and sausage, taking sips from the OJ beside it.

"No, it was just a dream," I replied quietly.

"Is this the result of dreaming rather than having nightmares?" he asked with a chuckle, waving to my attire and how I looked.

I smirked slightly. "Well, I feel better than if I'd had a nightmare."

Cole smiled and we finished off our food, leaving shortly after.

**

I slipped through people, avoiding everyone's stares and had nearly slipped past the cafeteria when I was yanked to the side.

I looked up at the person who had stopped me and let out a startled gasp. Jason had grabbed me and he looked like hell. His green eyes were dull, his hair a mess and his eyes contained black bags under them signaling he hadn't had hardly any sleep.

What had happened to him? He looked fine with Winter just yesterday.

I was about to say something, but he beat me to it.

"Rori, please," Jason said, his voice tired and broken, shocking me completely.

I gaped at him and then said, "Please what?"

"Please, stay away from Roman. He's not who you think he is," Jason said, his eyes pleading with me to listen.

"What? Jace, is this because you're jealous?" I felt irritation rise within me. He was accusing Roman of being someone he wasn't and Roman hadn't been anything, but nice to me.

"No, Rori, please. He's-" Jason cut off as Winter approached us and eyed me cautiously.

"What's goin' on, babe?" she asked and I seen Jason visibly stiffen.

"Nothin', just catchin' up with, Ror," he said, seeming to force a smile at his gorgeous girlfriend.

"I was just leaving. Nice catching up, Jace," I murmured, frowning as I walked away.

What the hell was up with that? Jason seemed almost nervous of Winter, afraid maybe.

I shrugged it off as I wound my way through the school and up to my locker.

"Hey," a voice mumbled and I almost let out a shriek, slamming my locker door closed and stumbling back.

"Whoa, whoa, easy. I didn't mean to scare you," Roman said, chuckling in his velvety voice.

I glanced over at him, clasping my racing heart and muttered, "Try not to sneak up on me again."

"Will do." He grinned and I couldn't help smiling back.

"So why'd you find me?" I asked, arching an eyebrow and ignoring the reason I'd come to my locker.

"Go on a date with me?" Roman asked and I choked on my own saliva.

"W-what?" I stuttered, unable to believe what he just asked.

"Would you like to go on a date with me?" he asked, watching my reaction with those pretty blue eyes of his.

It has to be the make-up...

I shook my head from thanking my lucky stars that I'd done my make-up today and made it back to reality.

"S-sure," I stammered again and gazed at Roman. His face was incredibly serious and the look in his eyes melted me, giving me a warmth that shot straight to my core.

I refrained from releasing an embarrassing moan and looked at the floor.

"Good," I could hear the smile in his voice. "I'll pick you up tonight at seven."

I went to turn away, but stopped and said, "Wait, don't you need my address?"

"Oh, yeah, I do," he said, smiling sheepishly.

"Here, I'll just give you my phone number instead and you text me when you're ready. I'll give you the address then," I murmured, taking a sheet of paper and quickly scribbling down my number.

Roman's smile was bright as he took the paper and hurried away.

"What just happened?" a familiar voice startled me from my excited bliss minutes later.

"I have a date," I said, almost squealing as I looked at Bree.

Her eyes popped wide and she let out a tiny shriek. "Ohmigawd! I fucking knew it!"

I slapped her arm playfully and scurried away as the bell rang.

"You will tell me later!" she threatened and I laughed too giddy to feel the threat.