23

I let out a soft huff, but didn't waver in my determination to properly meet my leader, Yorik. Roman had told me I could meet him another time, more personally, but I had declined and wished to get it out of the way now.

I'd spent all afternoon and into the evening meeting all of the pack, including Roman's family members. We had started off meeting Sarah and Holden's adopted boys, Cody and Trevor. They were extremely rowdy and full of glee, teasing me and hitting on me only to have Roman growl and reach out to smack the sandy blonde haired Cody and the dark brown haired Trevor. They were like brothers in every way and I knew I'd become good friends with them-- but that was all, just friends.

Then after the rambunctious guys, who were older and younger than me, came the gorgeous red haired Chloe, her white blonde haired mate, Garrett and their little girl with the most beautiful hazel eyes and same hair as her mother, Lilith. Chloe and Garrett accepted me with ease, much like Cody and Trevor and their little girl seemed intent on braiding my hair.

With a promise to Lilith that I'd let her braid my hair sometime, we moved onto meeting Roman's father, Luke and brother, Damion. My nerves had spiked and when I'd learned of Roman's family, I'd smacked him for not introducing me sooner. We may have not been dating, but just in case we would I wanted to know. However I learned I didn't have much to fear.

Luke with his silver hair, rough stubble and thick eyebrows which partiallly shielded dark blue eyes looked extremely intimidating, but after Roman introduced me to him and he pulled me into a squeezing hug, mumbling how he was happy Roman finally found someone to make him happy I quickly dismissed my accusations.

Roman's brother, Damion was even better than Luke, he took one look at me and glared at his brother, telling him not to mess up with me or he wouldn't. Roman had growled at his younger brother, but held a smirk on his face and had assured Damion he wouldn't. When we departed Damion threw me a playful wink and Luke smiled.

The next three I didn't actually get to approach because they had all snarled at me viciously, eyeing Roman and I together. It was the same three girls from earlier, the two brunettes Winter and Eva, and a golden blonde whom I didn't know. As my eyes spotted Winter again, I wondered if Jason knew what he was dating...my mind wandered back to when he'd warned me about Roman and I realized he probably did.

Roman tugged me away from the group of angry females and murmured, once out of ear shot, that the blonde was Aurora, Yorik and Annalise's daughter. My heart had stilled knowing that a girl who hated me was, in fact, my two leaders daughter, but it began to beat again as I recalled the incident this morning and how it was handled.

Now I was going to meet Aurora's father and after that Holden. Roman squeezed my hand gently and I felt a rush of ease run through me. I knew I had nothing to fear, but still...this whole leader thing was new and I didn't want to offend Yorik despite how well this morning had went.

We were just reaching Yorik's room when I pulled Roman to stop, an idea occurring to me. Roman faced me with a quizzical expression and opened his mouth to ask why we'd stopped, but I beat him to it.

"Do you know anything of the Jaecars?" I asked, watching him closely.

Roman's face changed slightly, but not enough to tell me what he really thought. "You mean the people who attacked us that night? Who almost killed you with Wolf's Bane?"

I nodded, my mouth turning into a grim line.

"I only know that the Jaecars are humans that know too much about us and want supernaturals dead," he said, his voice deeper and enraged.

"Does Yorik know more?"

"Probably. He would know because they threaten him and his pack. Why did you want to know this?" he murmured, eyeing me.

"You know why. The reasons I won't talk to you about right now until I meet Yorik and know more about you," I grumbled and then tugged Roman down the rest of the hall to stop in front of Yorik's room.

Roman hadn't said anything and instead now raised his fist to his leader's room door. He knocked once and it seemed that was enough as a rough, "Come in!" sounded.

My heart rate picked up again and I had to struggle to remember to ask Yorik about the Jaecars. Roman grasped the doorknob and looked at me, I gave him a weak smile and nodded.

He turned the knob and pushed the door open, allowing us through. We stopped just inside the door and after Yorik looked up, he ushered us further in. I noticed the front of the room was in an office style, but through an open door I saw that a giant suite with all the essentials sat beyond the office.

"What do I owe the pleasure of seeing you again, Rori?" Yorik asked, already suspecting Roman wasn't here for him.

I swallowed and gained my composure before murmuring, "I just wanted to introduce myself properly. This morning didn't seem all that good of a way to meet me. Also I have a few questions I'm thinking you can answer."

Yorik didn't answer for a moment, but when he did his voice was pleasant despite the intimidating aura of power surrounding him. "Well, it is nice to meet you on better terms. I still apologize for those three females' actions and if they give you any trouble, especially my daughter, do come tell me. As for those questions, did my wife, Annalise, not tell you everything or could Roman not?"

"This.. is a little more personal and something I'm guessing you keep more to yourself than your pack," I said softly, eyes downcast again.

Yorik growled a little. "And what would I be keeping from my pack?"

"The Jaecars."

Yorik grumbled again. "They know very well who they are. We all do, dammed bastard humans!"

My body shook and I backed up a step. I, too, had been a human once.

Yorik, sensing my discomfort, worked to make his voice softer again. "I didn't mean it that way, Rori. I have no qualms with humans who know nothing of our existence or who one of us claims as a mate or adopts a child into our pack. Those are different, they didn't stumble into our world, they were brought to it gradually or have had time to adjust, like you, even though pack life is new to you. The Jaecars are different, they've stumbled upon it, hated it and found others who hate it as well and eventually they find that organization and train and learn everything they can about killing the supernatural beings," He huffed, sucking in a breath. "My pack knows this and I know Annalise has told you this because you had almost been killed by them before we arrived, what else could you possibly need to know?"

"Their location and a way to kill them."