19

Roman

I had awoken earlier and now paced downstairs, the sounds of others in the kitchen only a mere background noise. The events from the night before haunted me and I couldn't shake the visions no matter what. My heart lurched in my chest and it felt as though I was in an ocean during the worst storm; the waves crashing into me and urging me to drown, but I wanted to live and struggled to the surface; struggled to breathe.

I shook my head, vision swimming as I continued pacing.

Rori.

The Jaecars swarming in through the shattered patio.

The Jaecars flinging me aside.

My head blackening.

Light awakening me.

Rori's yelp of pain, her beautiful wolf dropping to the ground.

Blood.

Blood spilling out of Rori.

My mind working to spill images to Yorik, to the pack.

My panic. My need. My love.

Rori being picked up, limp from the poison swirling in her veins.

Her heartbeat shallow, quiet.

Rushing, rushing back to the house.

Pack members forcing me out, away from Rori. My rage making me snap at Cody and Trevor.

My restless sleep.

Now.

Now, now I paced and waited. I had apologized to Cody and Trevor. Others had tried to calm me, but most stayed away, knowing the only thing that would calm me would be Rori. Just knowing she was alive.

Annalise had whirled past me earlier, warned me to stay down here while she checked on Rori. It was hard not to snap at her because I so desperately wanted to see her, but I couldn't do that to Annalise, she had been the one to help Rori and Yorik would skin me alive.

It seemed hours passed when finally I felt Annalise push an image into my mind. It was an ability only the leaders could do, but I had never been more grateful. The image was of Rori, wide eyed, but awake and alive.

I rushed up the stairs and carefully knocked on the door. The magic that was in it would carry the sound past the spells that made the room normally sound-proof.

Annalise's voice carried back out, telling me to come in and I carefully opened the door and slid in. I stayed just inside the door, but my eyes couldn't help glancing from Annalise and then to the gorgeous creature dressed in shorts that hugged her and a loose white shirt. I was at a loss of breath and my heart had never beat so fast. I couldn't believe it, she was alive.. alive!

Suddenly Annalise excused herself and I was alone with the beautiful woman I so desired. I couldn't speak at first and so it seemed all we did was gaze at each other. I took in her ashy hair and sea green eyes that sucked me, her lips that I wanted to kiss and the long legs that showed from her shorts. She was everything I found to be amazing, everything gorgeous and I so wanted her be mine. Finally after my eyes had adjusted to her loveliness, I choked out, "You're okay."

She just looked at me for a second before murmuring, "I am."

My throat closed and I just couldn't believe I'd almost lost this, lost her. "I didn't think... I... I."

I stepped forward, wanting nothing more than to surround her in my arms and breathe her beautiful scent in.

She held up her hand though, ceasing my path to her. "You almost kissed Eva."

I flinched, hating that I'd caused Rori pain, but that didn't deter me from explaining things. Explaining how females go into heat and how it's hard to ignore the lust and urges that rise up. Explaining that normally they stay locked away. I spilled everything and did my best to apologize.

She had been turned away from me and when she turned to face me, her body nearly collided with mine I'd been standing so close and as her gorgeous sea green eyes connected with mine I wanted to kiss her plump lips. She had no idea how long I had waited for her, how long I'd wanted her... how long.

But rather than smiling, she attempted to ask a question that made my heart pump loudly. Mates.

My mind wandered for a few brief seconds about how we could be bonded, how we could become mates. It had my head swimming and my jeans feeling slightly tighter than before, but I knew I had to wait. Rori just met me even though I'd known her for three years. So I answered her question rather than kissing her senseless like I wanted to.

After I said all I knew, she seemed disappointed with the no soul mates thing and I worried she'd be a Lupus who held out for their mate that no longer existed, but soon she smiled. It faded and she questioned my meaning of the reason there were no soul mates, but I explained she should talk to the Elders, Sarah and Holden, and told her food would be a good option.

Her stomach growled it's affirmation and we laughed, her laugh was the sound that eased all my panic and the worries that I thought she wasn't okay. It was a laugh that I wanted to hear more of and I would make sure I heard it's beauty again.