Chapter 38

Next few days went in a daze for Chrissy. She didn't remember anything from that fateful night other than his cruel words and his torturous rejection of her - her body, her trust and her love. How she managed to walk out of his room or reach home in one piece was all too hazy in her memory.

Steven had being waiting for her downstairs at the hotel reception. The moment he saw her walking out of the lift in a trance, he had come to her side. He was the one who had taken her home that night, answered all her mother's worrying questions and saved her from her mother's caring but at-the-moment painful concerns. He had understood that she needed rest and time to overcome whatever had happened between her and Nikloi. Her pathetic state confirmed to him that her heart was broken, but he did not ask her. Not that she was in any state to answer.

Steven had known Nikloi since a long time. He knew there was something between the two of them and also how it was all very new for Nikloi. He had hoped for Nikloi to find his happiness but watching Chrissy heart-broken that day had confirmed his worst fear. Nikloi had pushed her away and with her the best possibility of him being happy.

But Steven had known that it wasn't the time to think about any of it. He was worried to find Chrissy and just wanted her to be safe. So he had taken her home and taken care of her mother's questions while she tried to sleep to oblivion.

It was not easy and though she didn't want to spend even a single moment thinking about Nikloi, she was constantly reminded of the agony she had endured at his hands. She had remained in her room for several days, not wanting to step out or face the world. Her mother was worried but she had told her she just needed rest.

Mrs Smith knew there was more to Chrissy's illness than fatigue of over work. But she also knew there was no way she could make Chrissy talk till she decided to do so on her own. Not been able to do much to support her daughter, in general and in her pain, Mrs Smith thought the least she could do was let her be.

And so Chrissy had stayed aloof and withdrawn from everything and everyone. There were some calls from the Swaroski House but she had avoided all of them. Only when Linda called from the hotel, she didn't have the heart to ignore her as well like everyone else. She had spoken to her briefly on the phone but not disclosed any of her heartache. When Linda had asked about when she would be back at the hotel, she had given her some vague replies.

Steven would drop in to meet her sometime and though she was not ready to meet anyone, Steven was the only exception she made. She didn't know why. He had seen her at worse time. She also had a feeling that he was aware of much more than she had ever told him about herself and Nikloi. He had those observant and understanding eyes. But he never asked her any questions and for that she was grateful to him. Apart from various other things that he had come to be doing for her family.

Chrissy knew her behaviour was probably not fair to her mother. Mrs Smith tried to talk to her daughter couple of times but Chrissy could not include another soul to witness the terrible hurt she was living with. May be it was selfish of her but she couldn't share it with anyone, not even her mother.

It was those times when Steven provided the much needed support to her mother. Chrissy had not noticed earlier and even now she had not fully realized but she saw her mother finding comfort and companionship with Steven. And he had been a real gentleman. Being there for daughter and mother without expecting anything in return. Chrissy's heart had swelled with gratitude towards him. And therefore while she had wanted to be away from Nikloi and everyone associated with him. Steven was one exception that would continue to make for long.

It was couple of weeks later, one morning when the doorbell had rang at an odd time. Her mother had gone out. Chrissy had reluctantly opened the door and was shocked to see Richard Susshell at her door. The initial surprise had quickly given way to hatred for the lie he had told Nikloi about their relationship. He was the one responsible for all the disaster and he was the last person Chrissy wanted to ever see again.