Chapter 46 - Who are you?

Chrissy woke up all foggy and disoriented. She was covered in bandages around her head and left hand. When she tried to get up, she felt a pain across her back and dizzy again. She was too mixed-up to realize she was in a hospital room.

Lying back on bed, she closed her eyes and it all came back. She had gone to the deserted house with Jake Tilly. Susan and he had almost killed her Even while in the bed, she shuddered at the memory of the gun next to her head. But for Nikloi, she wouldn't be alive. Nikloi had come at the right moment to save her.

She turned around helplessly looking for Nikloi, when the door opened and a nurse came in. Seeing her awake, she commented, "Oh dear, you are finally awake. How are you felling now?"

"I am okay. Bit dizzy", Chrissy replied.

The nurse checked her and responded, "That may be the effect of the medicines. Plus you have been sleeping round the clock. Are you feeling any pain?"

"In my back, when I try to get up", Chrissy said trying to get up again.

"Don't worry, you must be still sore in some of your muscles. You were quite roughed up when you came in yesterday so it will take some time to fully recover but fortunately you hadn't hurt any of your vital organs. Let me inform the doctor that you are awake", she added turning away from her.

Before she left, Chrissy asked her, "Is mother around? I just want to know that she is okay. Does she know that I am here?"

"I don't know about your mother, but your husband was here all the time. You surely are a lucky one, dear. He wouldn't leave you even when I had to dress you up. Tough one I say, I had to literally push him out", the nurse answered smilingly. "Other than that, he stayed right next to you all the time. Poor guy, didn't even sleep thinking you might need something. Let me look out for him as well", saying that she finally stepped out leaving a confused Chrissy behind.

Husband?

Within few minutes, the nurse came back with the doctor who checked her. He told her she was doing fine and would be much better soon. He asked her to follow some precautions for the next few days, when the door suddenly flung opened and Nikloi came in hurriedly. He came right next to Chrissy and asked, "How are you feeling?"

But Chrissy was shocked seeing him there. Even more surprising was his appearance. He looked dishevelled and scruffy. His clothes were a mess, his hair all tousled and unkempt. There was slight beard on his face and he looked extremely tired. She had never seen him like this.

When she kept staring at him, he came and picked up her hand in his hand, "What happened? Is everything alright?" His voice was full of concern. The moment he touched her hand, she felt the electricity run through her body. Trying to pull back her hand, she said, 'uh.. yes..I..m.. I am fine". But he didn't let go of her hand. Chrissy wanted to ask him why was he here but was extremely conscious of the doctor and nurse watching the two of them. Nikloi didn't seem bother at all.

Turning his attention to the doctor, Nikloi asked how Chrissy was doing. Doctor explained it to both of them. He said Chrissy was fine and they should be discharging her in few hours but she should still take few days slow. Her body needs rest and she should be extremely careful about her head injury. If there was any dizziness, concussion or faintness, she should immediately come to the hospital.

Nikloi thanked the doctor and told him he will ensure Chrissy follows all the instructions. He went ahead to complete the discharge formalities. The nurse came back to help her change into her clothes. They were the same clothes she was wearing when she had met Susan. Where was Susan now? She wondered.

She was still combing her hairs when Nikloi walked in and stood behind him. She was again too conscious of him and could feel his eyes going all over her body. When she looked at him through the mirror, she saw him watching her intently. His eyes were filled with concern and... she couldn't understand that other emotion.. was it fear..?