'The Talk' ...or maybe not

“You agreed to this without even knowing who I was?” he asked, looking a bit annoyed.

I wanted to tell him that I knew nothing about this…that my mother had it all planned.  But I did not like the way he was looking at me.  I shook my head.  “Not really”

He sighs, probably thinking I was stupid.  “Dorian McMillan” he said before standing up.

“Ok” I said, not knowing what else to say.  "Uhm Demetria -" I was about to introduce myself when he stopped me. 

"You do not really think I will marry someone without knowing everything about them, do you?" he asked in that condescending way that was irritatinng.

“Oh and I will be staying in the adjoining room, there’s a connecting door so that when we have guests over, we can come and go out the same room and they won’t suspect anything.”

I nod and he takes back those bloody papers that sealed my fate.  “Well, goodnight then” he says and walks towards the connecting door.

Wow, that must have been the only conversation I had with him since we were married, and it’s only been two days.

“You have got to be kidding me” my friend shrieked over the phone.  I have to take the phone away from my ears.  Sherry was my best friend since law school and like me, currently jobless.  I sneered at that.  Well I had a job, being a contract wife!

“You cannot be serious! I am coming over right now” she says and I can hear her getting her keys.

“Sherry, I don’t live at my mother’s anymore” I state simply and it was only then that it dawned on me.  I really did have a new life now.

“Oh right.  Well text me your address and I’ll be over” she said and hung up.

I stared at the phone.  I did not even know where I lived.  I walked outside my room to look for Harold or Primrose, but none of them could be found.  That left only…

I took a deep breath outside the door.  Was it worth asking him this? Yesterday night when I asked him his name he looked at me as though am some stupid girl. 

My hand only went as far as the handle…my heartbeat was in some kind of a race.  Oh please! Why am I even worried? 

Before I could knock, the door opened, leaving my hand in a weird position in front of my husband.  As usual he was dressed in a suit, hair well combed and …was that cologne?  I realised that was the first time I stood so close to him.

“You make a good statue” I heard sarcasm flow from his mouth and I pulled my hand to me side.

“What’s the address?” I blurted out.  He blinked twice and there was that I-think-you’re-stupid look.

After giving me his personal card I thanked him and turned, texting Sherry the address.  “Why do you need it anyways? There’s a car to take you anywhere you want” he said and I turned back, he was in his room now, with the door open.  I walked and stood at the door.

“I am not going anywhere, my friend is coming over” I said.  He had been gathering some papers but he stopped mid action.

“Why?” he asked, his voice seemed controlled.

Why would my friend come to visit? Did he not have friends who came to visit him or what?

“Well, she’s my best friend and we haven’t talked because of all the wedding preparations.” I said, and it was true, I did miss Sherry.  I isolated myself from everyone so that i could deal with getting on with this contract marriage.