A Way Out!!!!!

A girl’s first kiss is usually a big deal.  However, it is even more special when the girl first kiss happens at the age of 24.  It is supposed to be sweet, with a feeling of having butterflies in her tummy.  It is supposed to be the most wonderful feeling ever.

But the kiss that should have made me feel all of this was weird.  It felt more like a punishing kiss.  A kiss devoid of feelings and care.  It was a kiss meant to punish me for tonight.

So he really didn’t care at all.  He wasn’t jealous, just plain mean.

“That should teach you to control yourself next time a man asks you to dance” he said and went to his room, firmly closing the connecting door.

I stood rooted to the spot for a few minutes.  He had just punished me…in the vilest way possible.  I looked towards the sliding door.  I wanted to march in there and slap him across that arrogant face of his.

I took a few calming breaths and decided a shower would do me good.  I needed to think this straight.  My husband was a cold unfeeling bastard and even though I signed the contract, I needed to get out.  And I needed a plan for that.

And luckily, tonight made me realise, just how easy it was to make HIM break the contract, which would mean I would not have to pay him anything.

I smiled to myself, anticipating what was to come.  It was a dangerous game, in which the risks where my life, my sanity, but the reward was my freedom from this monster.  I slept well for the first time in months.

The next day, I took extra care in getting dressed before going to work.  I had a smile on my face and could not wait to execute my plan.  The contract stipulated that if he ends the contract, I will not have to pay compensation. 

“Why so happy?” Sherry asked as I walked in. 

“Just cause” I said and hugged her.   I never realised how much this fake wedding bothered me.  But now that I knew he was going to end it soon, I was relived.

“Whoa! I get a hug! Seems like the romance is on full swing” she says and winks.

“Romance?” I questioned and she nodded.  It’s the gossip of today.  Yesterday at the dinner party” she said and handed me the newspaper as well as the company newsletter.

“I told you if you took care with your appearance, you would see how beautiful you are” she said as I stared at the front page with the caption “Finally unveiling Mrs McMillian”.

The story went on to talk about our passionate dance and how we were happily married.  I rolled my eyes.  As if!  It was weird being on the front page, and even weirder having people brandish me as ‘beautiful’ when I would usually be just another face in the crowd.

“Hello ladies” The legal advisor, Nick Hardy, greeted us as he walked in.  He was also a partner in GlobalTech.  He was in his late twenties and a legend in the legal field.  He had made a name for himself at a very young age.

But what interested me, was that he was handsome and charming and very friendly with me.

I greeted him back with a smile and he looked taken aback.  “You seem happy” he stopped to chat with us.

“I solved a big problem I had” I said and beamed.  I really felt happy.  He smiled too and looked so cute.

“How about you tell me about that at lunch?” he asked and I blushed and nodded.  As soon as he left, a very angry Sherry interrogated me.