The Bet

“Mind if I dance with my wife?” the cold voice was chilling and devoid of any emotion.  But his face gave him away.  Damian was ready to kill both me and Dorian.  I felt my heartbeat pace.  He was really very angry and I did not want to dance with him.  I did not want to talk to him. 

Dorian looked at me and I pleaded with my eyes. Dorian just gave his evil smile and shrugged.  This was all his fault and he could not even protect me from the wrath of my husband.  Damn him!  As soon as Dorian walked away, I was in my husband’s strong arms.

“One near death experience was not enough, was it?” came the chilling comment.  His grip on my wait was hard, his body taunt…everything smelled trouble.  I was freaking out.  He was a powerful man, I would not be surprised if he would kill me right now and no one would question him about it. 

I decided not to reply and just stared at his neck while he swayed me with the music I had forgotten as soon as I was in his arms.  Damn it! I had to stop behaving this way.  I might be jealous…but he was a cheater and I would never cower before a cheater.

Despite his tight grip, I stopped dead in my tracks, refusing to move at all.  “I think I am tired of dancing” I said and pushed back.  I was damn sure he would not let go had his mother not glanced at us at that exact moment.

He looked angry that he could not control this and I realised, it was my win…in a weird way, but I won.  I smiled at him tauntingly and walked over to Dorian’s side, ready to kill him.

“What the hell was that?” I whispered at Dorian, though I would much rather scream at him right now.

“You do not rile the tiger and leave a friend in its grip” I glared up at him as he chuckled.

“It’s funny how you compare him to a powerful animal” he said and I knew there was some kind of double entendre but I chose to ignore that.

It took pains not to throttle him.  But then his sharp intake of breath got my attention.  I look to where he was looking at and found Damian dancing with Serena, talking to her as though she was the most beautiful woman on the planet!

That’s it.  I cannot take anymore.  Dorian was right, I promised not to dance with any other man, but Dorian was not some other man, he was family!  Serena was a bitch!

A passing waiter offered some drinks and though I knew I could not really handle my alcohol, I grabbed a drink.  I had to stop this surge of jealousy that seemed to have a deathly grip on me.  Damn it!

Two hours later, I was tipsy and Dorian had left me safely in the care of Katherine.  She smiled at my flushed face.  “You do not really drink, do you?” she asked and I shook my head.  I did not want to say anything I would regret later on and have to pay up Damian’s 70 million.

Katherine chuckled again and glanced to where Damian was talking to some colleagues.   Thankfully Serena was not with him, because I was damn sure I would have made a scene in my current state.
“I guess it’s a lover’s thing” she said and thinking I missed something, I questioned her about it.

“You know, the trying to make each other jealous thing.” She replied wistfully, as though she thought it was romantic.  “He was mad when he saw you dancing with Dorian and he punished by dancing like that with Serena”. She said and she could not have been more right.  But right now, I could not handle thinking about it all.  Serena was nowhere to be seen and I was happy, finally enjoying my evening.  But that was when I noticed that Damian was not in the room.  I scanned the room and still couldn’t find him.  I walked around and still no sign of him or her!

By now I was fuming.  If he was off gallivanting with that bitch, I was ready to cry bloody murder.  I walked outside, looking for them when I swayed as the cool air brushed by me.  The evening was nice, and the big garden with the fountain and dim lights were perfect for a make out session.  No way! He would not be so … low!

I heard laughter by the bushes and slowly inched closer, making sure there I made no noise. 

“Come on, she will not notice us gone” the girl giggled and I could see red.  How could he?  How could he be with this conniving bitch?  I felt lost inside.  I did not know why I felt lost, but I did.  It was as though my world, my crazy hellish world is coming crashing down.   And I would not let this happen.  Damian ruins my life, I would ruin his!

I marched in there, ready to give both of them a piece of my mind.  As I made my way to the bushes, I found it was actually the perfect spot for a make out session, no one on the outside could see what they were doing.  They were both locked in an embrace and a hot kiss.  I felt like puking.

“You low life bastard!” I shouted, and they froze.  They actually had the decency to freeze and act surprised.  How could he?  How could he just do it?  We were in a contract marriage, and he might be cold and unfeeling, but I never thought he could do this to me.  Not when I was in the same house, in the same city or even in the same country.

But he did.  And that’s how disgusting Damian McMillian the rich millionaire could be.