5 | warm at night

'I would argue that nothing gives life more purpose than the realization that every moment of consciousness is a precious and fragile gift.'

  - Steven Pinker  

RI MADE IT TO the cafeteria quicker than expected. Mostly because her mind had wandered off but also because she'd practically ran here. She scanned the area from where she stood outside the entrance and caught sight of Pepper sitting with two trays of food. 

Pepper was bobbing her head rhythmically in time to whatever music she was listening to through her headphones. She'd pulled her box braids into a loose ponytail to keep them out of her food. Pep had gone for white hair this year. She said it symbolized a fresh, clean slate. Ri just admired her for being able to keep her hair healthy enough to shine after the bleach. 

Slipping on her ear defenders again, because it was dinner time and the noise had risen to a god-forsaken cacophony, Ri moved through the crowds towards her friend. Pepper's face lit up when she noticed Ri approach and she motioned over to the empty seat next to her.

Ri sat down with a "Thanks for grabbing me something."

"I figured all the good stuff would be gone before came but you got here surprisingly fast." Pepper said, then after a pause, she scowled, "It didn't go well, did it? Your study date."

"First of all, not a date, just studying." Ri corrected and ignored Pep's subsequent spine of 'yeah, sure it wasn't'. "Secondly, he showed up like an hour late and most importantly, something about him makes me uncomfortable."

"An hour? After he asked you to study with him? You'd have been better off studying somewhere quieter," Pepper muttered a low, "what a jackass" which made Ri feel a little warm at her friend's support but also uncomfortable, because she didn't know the full story behind Minhyuk being late and calling him that was a stretch. He was blindingly ignorant and obliviously arrogant, but he wasn't a jackass.

"The point is, I felt uncomfortable throughout the whole thing. Zero out of ten, do not recommend," Ri said, taking a large bite out of the pizza on her tray. It tasted surprisingly good. She realized that the last time she'd eaten was at breakfast. Her stomach growled impatiently and she took another bite.

"Because he was late? Or did he mortally offend you somehow?"