7 | no rhyme or reason

"people can be so quiet about their pain, that you forget they are hurting. that is why it is so important to always be kind." 

- Nikita Gill

It was Easter and Ri was an insomniac mess

It was Easter and Ri was an insomniac mess. There was a week to go before exams and she didn't know if she was going to make it. Not academically, because she didn't have much left to learn, but physically.

She was strung out and exhausted and oh god, she needed either a full twenty four hours of sleep or another cup of coffee. Being the patron saint of good choices, Ri opted for another caffeine fix. It was only six in the evening, sleeping now would ruin her schedule.

The walk from her seat in the common room to the adjacent kitchen seemed to stretch on forever. Her legs twinged with a dull pain, punishing her for sitting still for hours and hours. There were a bunch of students standing around the stove when she got there, talking loudly about watched pots and pasta or something. Ri didn't care and she couldn't process anything even if their voices felt like sledgehammers against her ears.

Coffee, ear defenders and then the last chapter of Advanced Virus Research and Defense. Hacking and what-not could be left for later, when her brain stopped feeling like it was oozing out of her damn ears.

Get cup out, fill kettle, boil water, grab tea bag, make tea.

No wait, wasn't I meant to make coffee?

Whatever. Ginger and rose is fine.

Every little task felt cumbersome and huge. Ri's head throbbed and she felt her heart rate spike. Her skin prickled, goosebumps erupting across her arms and down her legs. She lifted up her cup with a grimace of pain and held it up to her nose to sniff. A feeling of nausea promptly washed over her.

Oh.

Overload.

Not good.

Ri left the tea and staggered back to her chair, hands clamped firmly over her ears. She ducked her head to avoid looking at the harsh fluorescent lights that lit up the room. The ear defenders helped but not by much, every little sound that slipped through felt like nails.