9 | feels like flying

'You're on my mind and you sound like the closest thing to grace and mercy I've ever gotten in my life.'

-  Unknown 

Ri woke up to the sun rising over the trees outside. Her head was still pounding.She felt strangely numb. Like every feeling she'd felt from before had suddenly grown muted and silent.

Then Ri remembered how Minhyuk had helped her and she cringed. A deep sigh escaped her lips. She let herself wallow in 'what-if's and a good deal of panic before it got too much and she slammed down the slowly rising mortification.

If Minhyuk felt awkward, then it wasn't Ri's fault. She flipped out her phone and sent him an 'i'm up' text. For a second, she stared at the screen, wondering if he'd read it and reply. But nothing happened and Ri realized she was being ridiculous. So much for not caring about what he thought of her.

Minhyuk's friendship had been a peculiar development. But despite not wanting it at all at first, Ri had started to grow...attached. She liked studying with a mind as sharp as her own. She liked his stupid jokes and the stories he told about his family. Minhyuk had slowly crept under her skin without her noticing. It was a problem. But one that Ri didn't feel needed fixing.

Ri groaned and rolled over to hide her face into her pillow. She needed to think about something else. What had she been doing before the meltdown? Ri tried to remember what she'd been waiting for. Something important- oh.

The accepted interns list was going to be released. Well, it was probably up already. She hesitated for a good minute. Then decided to face the music and logged in to Harrow's website, mentally bracing herself for the worst.

The page seemed to load forever. Ri watched the circles go round and round until they finally vanished. The list loaded up and-

Ri Cavanagh - Year Two - Class A

Nilufar Nureyev - Year Four - Class C

Her heart flew to her throat. It felt like her entire being was being squeezed. Ri let out a yell of excitement and jumped out of bed. The sudden movement made her head swim but she didn't care. She'd done it!

"I got in!" She whispered to herself, her voice a mess of surprise and relief, "Oh my god!"

Absolute joy flooded through her. It was almost too much to handle. She squealed, chucked her phone on the bed and jumped up and down. Ri felt like she was vibrating with energy.