12 | knights in arms

'No one is so brave that he is not disturbed by something unexpected.' 

— Julius Caesar

THE CALL ENDED AND Ri slumped in her seat. Her heart squeezed painfully and she reached up to rub at her chest. Guilt and sorrow mixed into a dark cocktail in her gut. She could've helped get him out. They could've taken the elevator together, if only she'd remembered. If only she hadn't been so concerned with only herself. If James got hurt, it would be her fault.

An uncomfortable silence stretched in between them, with Ri lost in her own loathing and Minhyuk with his own thoughts. How did people deal with things like terrorist attacks? How did they act? Did they cry? Ri felt simultaneously devoid of any sort of emotion and overwhelmed.

She pulled out her phone, "M?"

"Yes, Miss?" Monday replied. Minhyuk startled and looked over but didn't say anything.

"Are you still connected to the building's systems?"

"Of course," Monday replied and, before Ri could even ask, she said, "Mister James Bridges is still in the building, on the 49th floor. Location: the south wing utility room. The floor is no longer in danger as the terrorists have moved down."

Ri felt like a piece of shit for letting out a sigh of relief at that, "Any updates on the situation?"

"Twenty three casualties, seventy injured and one hundred and twelve currently held hostage on the thirtieth floor." Minhyuk's breath hitched at the numbers Monday rattled off. The knife twisted in Ri's stomach.

"Send James a text, tell him which floors are safe."

"Already sent, Miss." Monday said, "Shall I alert Miss Pepper?"

"I'll send her a text myself, M. Thanks." Ri was already on it, her fingers flying over the screen. She sent a sideways look at Minhyuk and asked, "What about Miss Kim?"

"Miss Kim was admitted into St. Thomas' Hospital and has likely gone into surgery." Minhyuk looked a little relieved and the news helped wipe the horror off his face. "May I ask where you are going?"

"A safe place," Minhyuk reassured.

Ri couldn't help feel a sense of unease despite it. She didn't say anything, despite feeling like she needed to. After a moment of silence, Ri had started to resign herself to a quiet ride when Minhyuk spoke up.

"I'm sorry," his voice was carefully even. "They're not after you so I'll find a way to get you back to Harrows. I'm sorry for," he paused, trying to gather his thoughts, "putting you in danger. For everything."