6 | the enigma returns

"I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but first impressions are often entirely wrong."
    - Lemony Snicket  

"    - Lemony Snicket  

TWO WEEKS WENT BY and Ri didn't see Minhyuk outside of classes at all. She didn't give it much thought, it wasn't hard for anyone to get swamped with assignments and deadlines. Especially at Harrows, where the lessons were fast paced and the professors tough.

In that time, James had traveled back and spent some time with them before moving to London to settle in for his shiny new engineering job at LuNa. Ri was equal parts happy and envious and sad that he was going so far away from Harrows. An hour's drive separated them but it felt like an eternity nonetheless.

Pepper and him had both decided that James being closer to work was better and they promised each other to dedicate weekends entirely to themselves. And Ri, but she didn't want to intrude so she politely backed off.

It was hard to feel even more of a third wheel (or fifth or sixth, depending if Nilu and Ali were around) than she usually did, but Ri wanted to support her friends. Plus, it wouldn't be a permanent thing. They were a team and she knew that James and Pepper would always be in her corner when she needed them.

And Ri wished they could help more with prepping for the internship but there was nothing more they could really do except give her moral support (of which they gave in spades). So she stuck to the plan that her and Minhyuk had sorted out that time in the library, which felt like a lifetime ago.

She'd managed to get most of it done earlier than expected. It left her feeling exhausted and strung out, but a part of her - the self-destructive, overly eager part - pushed and pushed to cover as much material as humanly possible. There was only a little bit left, after all. Only a few chapters worth of readings and a handful of guided practices.

Nilu and Ali were both fourth years and had been very helpful. Their spoken English wasn't perfect but there were experts at JavaScript. Also, they were surprisingly good teachers. Nilu had snorted when she'd said that and replied, "Anyone else and we'd go crazy." while muttering 'faqat sen uchun' under her breath. 

And now, the Easter holidays were a week away and Ri wished she could slow down a little. But she didn't. Every evening was spent at Club Monday, either with or without Pepper, working away silently under the lamplight and the stars. It felt like a while since Ri had engaged in an actual conversation with any of her friends. They still spoke, of course. Especially about the internship. But each one of them were busy in their own way and they barely found time to relax together.