Dark times

" The town was paper, the memories were not."
                                  -John Green
________________________________________________________________

The intensity inside the police station witnessed growth as Ajay paced up and down the room, with his features radiating tension.

The situation in Panjim was curtailed with much difficulty. But, Rathode and Wilson now had a more tricky case to deal with. A case that involved decision of life and death for so many people.

"Sir, our computer expert will be arriving soon, calm down please," said Rathode, trying to pacify his mentor. He couldn't even remember the last time he saw him this hyped.

"Calm down? How the hell do you expect me to calm down? All my medals, my intellect, they've crushed everything. I couldn't even protect my family. It's all the same again, I'm alone like usual," snapped back Ajay, retiring to the chair nearby.

"Sir, you are the best hope we have. If you break down we're done for it. You surely are not going to let them win, I guess?" asked Wilson this time, turning his face from the laptop screen.

"I've lost, yes. But, this time the game isn't about winning. It's about my family. It's about Nikki, Mohit, Diya and everyone they've hurt. It's now them or me."

A very geeky looking guy suddenly barged inside the police station.

"Sorry, I've been called for that computer and stuff," he said, still gasping for breathe.

"Yes! You know how to track people's location?" Ajay asked, almost jumping from his chair.

"If they carry GPS tracker then it would be a piece of cake."

"Your name?"

"Izab Ahmed."

"Come with me," he said, moving to the laptop Wilson was working on. The boy followed him quietly.

"Beware, if you as much as breathe about this to anyone, we would have consequences."

"I won't," Izab replied, visibly shaken by now.

"Good, now what do you know about real-time GPS tracker and Spot Gen3?"

"Well, the first one is a mobile controlled tracker ranging up to long distances. It can keep going for days without charge, and most importantly it has a external antenna helping it to be connected. And, the next one is a tracking device with an inbuilt software to detect itself on the map. Only problem is you gotta map it on computer and it's a messed up job," he said, with pride showing clear in his eyes.

"That's exactly what you are here for. Look, I can't give you the full details, but we are currently dealing with a case of abduction. So, track them up as soon as possible and I'll here work on my mobile to receiving signals," said Ajay, handing him the spot gen3 tracking systems data.

Within minutes Ajay succeeded on what he was looking for. The real time tracker was shown to be more than 13km away. Reception was clear, but location was yet not deciphered.

Whereas, Izab with his blazing sharp intellect pinpointed the exact location with ease. Then, by tallying both the trackers an rough sketch could be drawn, that they were on the eastern suburb of the city, where most of the population was dispersed.

It was almost 3pm by the time they finished with their job, and they were all exhausted by the brain game. Izab left thanking Ajay, whereas Ajay who never complimented anyone had to admit that this young man had merit.

"Sir, so what will we do now?" Rathode asked blankly.

"We'll wait for that thing and then you two will come with me,"Ajay said, playing with his revolver.

"Right," replied Rathode, again falling silent.

It was not before noon did the 3 of them sprang into action. Magazine full of bullets, bulletproof jacket, guns and their special weapon. And, that blue van.

"Sir, are we allowed to do all this?" Rathode once asked timidly, but the death glance Ajay gave him made him almost pee in his pants.

During the whole ride Ajay seemed really carefree. Like whatever happens, happens. He looked out of the window blankly, like it was the end of the world. Like, this was going to be his final mission.

"I utilized my time after coming from the police station yesterday, and meticulously attached the trackers. No more questions, please," he casually said, not even in his usual sarcastic tone.

Rathode didn't feel it quite safe to egg him anymore. Thus, he too refrained from questioning any further. The situation didn't seem apt for it.

The horizon at the distance was changing colours, as their car sped past the city towards their final mission....

Saving lives.

_______________________________________________________________

A/N :-

I know....I know, I'm late. But, I'm trying man. It is tough and now there will be action and...revelations!!

Give me some time. And, if y'all  enjoyed this chapter then please vote, comment and share.

By clicking on that star, y'all help me to find my way through the darkness of my life. So, it's worth it.

Love y'all and byeeee.