Chapter 9

Quinn

"Thanks River. I owe you one." I said, sitting one of the stools at the kitchen counter.

He nodded, closing his eyes and whimperimg softly as Violet, sitting on the counter in front of him, played with a few strands of his hair.

"River don't do that. You'll make me feel bad about wanting to get an education." Violet said.

"I'll miss you though." He said.

"I know." She said. "But you'd better not cheat on me. I'll know if you do."

"Never." He said. "But don't you forget the lesson you learned. No male friends."

"Ok." Violet said.

"I'm serious. If Quinn tells me that you've been disobedient the next time I call I'll come all the way here and you know what happens when I get upset." He said. "Do I make myself clear?"

"Ok." She said. "Damn."

He pulled her closer and she gasped. "Violet? Do you understand me?"

She nodded, her eyes rolling to the back of her head. "River."

"I'm still here." I said. "Let's not forget my innocent self."

Violet started taking deep breaths.  "You are not innocent."

"Yes I am." I argued.

"If anything yo-" She let out a loud moan and her face flushed. "River, please."

He smiled wickedly. "Alright."

He let her go and walked around the counter to lay his arm across my shoulders. "Quinn, do me a favor."

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Kill any guy that touches her." He said.

"Sure." I said.

"You've got to be kidding me. I've got a babysitter?" Violet said.

"Was that a complaint?" River asked.

"No! No, no, no, no, no." She said, shaking her head with a worried look on her face. "I'm sorry."

"That's what I thought." He said. "Quinn, don't forget to take care of yourself."

I nodded. "See you in two months."

He patted and blew Violet a kiss before walking out the door.

We heard his truck start up and pull out of the driveway.

As soon as we heard him drive away Violet started to climb slowly off the counter.

"Quinn I need to talk to you." She said, stumbling onto the stool beside me.

"What?" I asked.

She was probably going to ask me if the sky is blue.

"Do you think River would be, uh, good Father material?" She asked.

I felt like she had punched me in my eye. "Violet."

"Yes?"

"Violet."

"Yes?"

"Are you being serious?" I asked.

She nodded and tears sprang from her eyes.

"Oh gosh." I said and hugged her. "V."

"I know. I should've told him. I should've told you." She sobbed.

"How long have you known?" I asked.

"Two days." She said.

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"I'm sorry." She said.

"Whatever, but you need to tell him." I said. "Call him."

"Can you do it?" She asked. "I can find some creative way for you to do it."

"How about no?" I said.

"Why?" She asked.

"What do you mean why?" I asked. "That's your baby and you know he's gonna pounce on you when you tell him."

"No." She said.

"Um yeah. That's what happens in every good story." I said.

"This is not a story." She said. "This is my life."

"Exactly. Own it." I said. "Now get off."

"You're so mean." She said.

"I should've noticed your extra moodiness." I said.

"Whatever Quinn. You don't understand how nerve-wrecking this is." She said. "I can't wait until you get pregnant and don't know how to tell your mate."

"I do know. I'm simply going to tell him that I'm pregnant." I said.

"It's not that easy." She said.

"Yes it is." I said. "Try it.

"You know what. I will try it." She said. "But only because I can't think of anything else."

"That's the spirit." I said. "Now excuse me. I'm off to find my mate."

********

Annnnndd that's it. My bad y'all. I couldn't figure out how to end this.
Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋