Chapter 50

Chance

"Chance-"

"That's Alpha to you, rogue."

"That's no way to speak to your elders, Boy." Her husband chimed in.

"And why exactly, Mr. Jameson, should I show you traitors any respect?" I rolled my eyes, waving away the wine a handmaid offered me.

"You want our blessing." She said.

"Are you implying that, after all these years, you're willing to give it?" I asked, something in me hoping that by some crazy chance they had.

"Never." She smiled. "But I suppose you want her to willingly agree."

In answer to my silence she nodded. "Then you will not harm us."

"Not yet anyway." I picked at the plate in front of me. "But as soon as she steps foot back on pack ground she's fair game."

I got up, pushing my chair back and servants rushed forward to clean up my place.

"Of course I won't kill her. Then this would have all been for nothing." I wandered towards the window. "But I'll kill you and have her watch. Then I'll slaughter anyone else she ever cared about."

"That would kill her inside." Her father spoke up again. "She'd be an empty shell."

"Exactly. I hate this new passion she has for pissing me off. An empty shell of a wife is exactly what I need. What the pack needs."

"No. Our pack needs an Alpha who thinks with his brain and not his d-"

"Oh right. I almost forgot about you." I cut him off. "How's your arm?"

"Much better than yours will be you sick son of a bit-"

The slight crack and Mrs. Jameson flinched as her son-in-law's arm was broken for the fourth time.

He groaned, straining to get free of his restraints.

"You know. Being disrespectful is clearly getting you nowhere." I pointed out. "A time will come that I will break your arm and it'll stay broken. Then we'll move on to your legs."

"Logan, honey, perhaps we could trade-"

"No!" He snapped. "If I don't die in your place Skylar would kill me anyway."

"Speaking of Skylar and...what's her name again? June?" I patted his head lightly. "They'll join you soon enough. I'll slaughter her. I'll slit your daughter's throat."

"And you'll watch." I went back to my seat, pulling a pistol from the seat of my chair. "Then I'll hand you this gun and let you finish the job for me."

"If I die, I'll take you with me. To save everyone the trouble."

"Nice. I look forward to it. As for you two." I said, turning back to my dinner guests. "When he dies, because I will kill him, one of you will take his place. So pray, for him and yourselves, that your daughter shows her face."

********

Quinn

'He's able to keep up now.' Leia noted. 'Perhaps in a bit more time he'll be able to surpass his opponent.'

'Leia they've been working so hard since sun up. Nonstop.' I said. 'Maybe we should call it a day.'

'Maybe.' She said. 'Watch.'

She mumbled something underneath her breath and Ghost's ears perked up.

Within seconds he had River pinned, holding until River yielded.

He shift as he walked over to us and soon enough it was Everett's head, not Ghost's, that fell into my lap.

I patted his back, feeling the sweat of exhaustion across his skin. "You okay?"

He exhaled deeply against my leg before turning over. "And you did that every day? Willingly?"

"More or less." I laughs.

I opened the door for River, who trotted heavily inside.

"Everett." I said. "This baby could be human."

"I figured." He said. "You're not bursting at the seams yet."

"That means anything could hurt it." I said.

"I won't let it." He yawned.

"You should go home. Sleep in your own bed."

"I should?" He yawned.

"Yes. Your body needs to recharge and you won't get the rest you need sleeping in my bed."

"But it's where you'll be." He said, grabbing his clothes.

After he'd slipped on his shorts, he grabbed my hand and pulled me inside.

"Quinn." Skylar said slowly. "They'll kill him if we don't go after them."

"Sky we're not ready."

"I disagree." River said from the couch. "We go now. While the adrenaline is still running it's course."

"Now? But we haven't come with a plan and Everett's only had one day of training."

"He knows enough." He argued. "I've taught him the most fatal way to strike the enemy. We'll go over defense in the morning and we'll be ready by tomorrow afternoon."

"Sounds good." Everett said, hugging me close.

His arms were still wet as he had just gotten out of the shower.

There was a bright flash and I was seeing black spots for a second.

"This one's going in the album." Violet said.

"You sound like my Mother." I said, taking Everett's arm and dragging him back to my bedroom.

"You know Quinn." He said as I closed the door. "I'm started to think you're ashamed of me."

"Why?"

"I've never been in a room with your family for longer than five minutes." He groaned lightly as he stretched out across my bed.

"You're here for me." I said.

"I will have to get to know them eventually." He said.

"Right now they should be the least of your worries." I said. "Do you realize that you're about to meet my parents?"

"Under very strained circumstances too."

"Alright." I said, climbing into bed. "When all this is over we can have tea time."

'I wish everyone we've ever come to love wasn't in such danger.' Leia mumbled to Ghost. 'Perhaps then we would be able to raise our son in a suitable environment.'

'It's a boy?' I asked.

'Yes. It'll be a healthy baby.' She said. 'Yes, I know.'

'What?'

'The baby has our genes for certain. ' she said. 'But what remains to be determined is which of their genes it has.'

**************