chapter 3

"So, Cas, tell me about yourself." Dean said, continuing the conversation. "Of course, tell me whatever you're comfortable with."

"Well," Cas replied, "I'm from Illinois, I'm turning 17 in about a week, and I'm on this train to go as far as it will take me."

Dean smiled at this kid. "Well, that's a great amount of information to know about you."

"What about you?" Cas asked. "What are some things about yourself?"

"Um... well I'm from Kansas, I'm 17, I have a younger brother named Sam. And I'm also riding this train as far as it will take me." Dean said.

"Do you feel bad about leaving your brother at home?" Cas asked, intrigued.

Dean thought for a moment. The whole time he was building his plan to get away, he was too busy thinking and plotting and putting actions into motion that he didn't realize that Sam would be left home. But on second thought, Dean left a couple things with Sam. Dean's knife, which Sam has now in case things ever get nasty. Sam has an extra set of keys to the family car, an Impala, in case he ever needs to get out. And most importantly, Sam has the only number to Dean's cell phone. Not even his dad has it. If Sam ever needs anything, he knows that he can call Dean. Hell, Sam's had to use it a couple times before.

"Nah, I know he can take care of himself." Dean answered. "Plus, I made sure to leave him with a couple things that will help him out."

"Well it's good that you care for your brother." Cas said. "Changing the subject, how long do you think it will be until we're on the west coast?"

"A while. I mean, we've been here three hours and we've gone about 400 miles." Dean answered. "So, it's going to take a while. Is that where you're headed?"

Cas nodded, but it was more of an unsure nod. "Yeah, I guess. The west coast is just the farthest place I'll be able to go. I don't have anyone there, but I can make a life for myself."

"Well, I'll travel with you until the end of the line." Dean said. Cas smiled, all while blushing like a little kid who just got noticed by their crush. Dean continued conversation. "So, how long have you been on this train?"

"About 4 days." Cas said. "There have been three other people aside from you in that spot, but none of them have started to talk to me."

"Were any of them creeps?" Dean asked.

"Not really. They were all basically people trying to go from one place to another, usually getting off one or two stops over." Cas answered. "There was this one guy, though, who I'm pretty sure almost pissed his pants in that seat. So I wouldn't say that seat is totally clean."

Dean stood up, looking at his seat, mortified. "Oh, hell, dude!" Dean exclaimed. "Now I don't want to sit here! Ugh, disgusting!"

Cas laughed, and Dean decided that Cas had the best laugh he'd ever heard. Cas threw his head back as he laughed, and his smile was so wide and so genuine that Dean couldn't help but love it.

"I'm kidding!" Cas said. "That seat should be fine, Dean."

Dean took his seat again, feeling embarrassed that Cas was able to trick him that easily. "Well thanks for telling me that." Dean said, trying to hide his face from Cas. "I fully expected you to never tell me about it and let me find a new seat."

"Oh darn." Cas said sarcastically, swinging his arm dramatically. "You've discovered my maniacal plan."

"I knew it! It was all just a rouse to make me move seats!" Dean said.

"Of course it wasn't." Cas said, glancing at Dean. "I love sitting next to you. I wouldn't want you to move."