chapter 6

The morning came, along with a numerous amount of new passengers. It was no longer just Cas and Dean in the caboose, but it was filled with other people. The train was passing through the eastern part of Colorado, which Dean figured out looks exactly like the majority of Kansas. Just wheat fields and cows. Lots and lots of cows.

It was about 8 am, and Dean woke up from his peaceful slumber to see that Cas was already awake, listening to music on his phone.

Dean groaned as he stretched to wake himself up. "'Morning, buddy." Dean said, accidentally brushing his outstretched arm on Cas's arm.

Cas pulled out his earbuds and turned to Dean. "Good morning. How did you sleep?" Cas asked.

"Pretty good, for the most part." Dean replied.

"Well that's good. My first night sleeping on this thing was rough. But I've gotten the hang of it." Cas said.

Dean's stomach emitted a very loud rumbling. Dean rarely went this long without eating, and his stomach was making him pay for it. "So, Cas." Dean said. "As the more experienced traveler, I must ask where I can get some food on this goddamn train."

Cas smiled. Jesus Christ, Dean loves that smile. It's a slight smile, with a bit of a smirk involved. But it was a very genuine smile. It was a smile that told someone all they needed to know about Cas. That even though he's reserved and quiet, he's happy. He's a real happy kid.

Dean didn't realize he was staring until Cas started talking. "There's a snack car. I'll take you to it."

"Alright, well I'm already hungry so let's go." Dean said, standing up from his seat. It was the first time that Dean had attempted to stand on the train, and it was a weird feeling. He could see the world flying past him, but he was standing still. Dean grabbed the seat in front of him and stepped out into the aisle. Cas, who was already comfortable walking around a moving train, stepped behind Dean into the aisle.

Dean let go of the seat in front of him and tried to take a step forward, but the movement of the train threw Dean off balance and instead of stepping forward, he fell backward.

As Dean fell back, Cas instinctively put his hands out so that he could catch Dean. One of Cas's hands ended on the back of Dean's shoulder, the other ended on Dean's waist. Cas's arms absorbed the weight of Dean, and he pushed Dean up back to a standing position.

Dean, now standing back on his feet, could still feel where Cas's hands were on his body. Maybe that was because Cas hadn't let go of Dean yet. Cas noticed that he was still holding on and retracted his hands quickly.

"Sorry." Cas said, even though in his mind he was scolding himself for not letting go.

"You're good." Dean said. "Thanks for catching me."

Dean could still feel the handprints of Cas on his body. The electric shock of Cas's touch made every nerve in Dean's body fire at once. Dean could feel it from the tip of his fingers to the ends of his toes.

Dean hadn't felt this way when a girl touched him in a long time. And he hadn't felt this flutter in his stomach for a boy in a long, long time.

Dean shook his head, trying to erase the feeling from his body and all the thoughts from his mind. The last time Dean thought this way, loads of crap went down. He did not want to repeat that, even if he was hundreds of miles away from where it happened last.

"C'mon," Cas said, "Let's go to the food car. I'll lead the way."