chapter 16

"I think what I'm gonna do is first, get the hell off this train. Trains take the same route from point A to B every time. If someone recognizes me, they could catch this train in a couple of hours." Dean said. "I think the next thing to do is steal a car."

"Steal a car?!" Cas said. "That's illegal!"

"How else am I going to get anywhere?" Dean replied. "It's the only option. Then I guess I'll go somewhere far away. I think in Washington there's gotta be a couple towns that are super secluded. If I can get one of them to take me in-"

"You're seriously going to give up everything just to avoid your father?" Cas interjected.

"Yes." Dean replied, no hesitation in his voice. "He's a terrible person, Cas. You have no idea that crap he's done to me in my life. I won't go back there for anything."

"I don't think this is a good decision." Cas said.

"It's my decision to make." Dean said. He glanced at the train stop list. "It looks like the next stop will be in very eastern California. In about 20 minutes." Dean turned to Cas. "I guess we should get our goodbyes in order."

"What?! No." Cas said.

"No?" Dean questioned.

"I'm not going to say goodbye to you."

"Why not? I'm getting off the train in 20 minutes!"

"I'm coming with you."

Dean's eyebrows shot up. "Um, no way. Sorry Cas but I'm not letting you come with me."

"Why not?"

"Because you still have a shot at getting a normal life! You're not wanted by everyone in America!" Dean said, getting riled up.

"I'm still coming with you." Cas insisted.

"Every time you're with me it puts a target on your back."

"So?" Cas replied. "Dean, I want to help you. I've gone this far with you already and I'm not going to let you go now."

"Cas," Dean said, his voice soft, "This is going to get dangerous."

"That means you'll need me the most now." Cas said. "I want to help you. I'll get you out of this mess."

Dean sighed, surrendering. "Okay. But it's going to get more difficult and dangerous. Are you ready for that?"

"As long as I'm going through it with you, I'm ready for anything." Cas said.

Dean sighed again, this time in exasperation. He really cares for this kid. A lot more than he probably should. Dean knows that there are so many feelings he is developing for this boy, several of them going beyond friendship, and secretly Dean didn't want to have to say goodbye to Cas either. But now he's leading Cas into his screwed up world that he was trying so hard to escape.

What's the best that could come out of this situation?

But more importantly,

What's the worst that could happen?