chapter 15

Two days later

Nothing much had happened to the two boys over the next few days. They traveled through Utah, and most of Nevada. They were nearing the western border of Nevada, getting close to California, when disaster caught up to the two boys.

"That's why I'm pissed. Immediately when I got the window seat the scenic views ended." Dean said.

"That was just an unfortunate coincidence." Cas replied.

"Says you, mister 'I got a great view of the mountains'."

"Remember you crawled into my seat to be able to see."

"Whatever." Dean said.

A middle aged woman with brown, but graying, hair approached Dean and tapped his shoulder.

Dean looked up at her. "Can I help you, ma'am?"

"Are you the boy from the news?" she asked.

"What the hell?" Dean muttered. Dean glanced at Cas, who was just as confused as he was. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"The boy who went missing from Kansas? Dave Winchester?"

Every gear in Dean's mind immediately clicked. His mind was stuck in an endless loop of "This is bad, this is so freaking bad, this is bad, this is so freaking bad" but his mouth managed to muster the words, "I'm sorry, but you must be mistaken."

The woman turned and walked away, and Cas put his hand on Dean's shoulder.

"Dean, what's going on?" Cas asked.

"It's nothing." Dean said. He was trying to maintain calm but he felt like his whole head was spinning.

"No it's not." Cas said, an intensity to his voice that immediately snapped Dean from his spiral. "It's not nothing. I know it." Cas placed his other hand on Dean's knee.

Dean almost spasmed from the touch. He felt goosebumps going all the way from that spot to his heart. With that touch, he knew he had to tell Cas what was going on. Cas was too much a part of his life at this point to lie to him.

"I've told you this, but my dad is nuts. I think that he's so pissed off at me for running off that he's launched a nation-wide hunt for me."

Cas leaned forward, almost as if he didn't hear what Dean said. "Are you serious?"

Dean nodded. "I'm not sure about this, but I think that he might have used footage from that motel we stayed at the other night in order to track me."

"This is ridiculous." Cas said, his eyes wide. "Do you know what you're going to do?"