chapter 23

"Wow, it's a lot colder than I imagined." Cas said, holding his arms to him, looking out at the ocean spread in front of him.

Dean shrugged. "I guess a storm decided to roll in today."

They both looked up at the gray clouds gathering above them. It made everything dark and cold, but still beautiful. The ocean was more mysterious. The water looked like it was dark gray, and the sand was colder and wetter than either of them imagined.

Dean watched as Cas sat in the sand and took off his shoes and socks. He stood back up and wiggled his toes in the sand, laughing quietly to himself. Dean felt the leap in his heart when Cas smiled.

Cas walked down to the ocean for the cold ocean water to lap at his feet. The water went on forever. It was just like Cas imagined. But colder, it was definitely colder than Cas imagined.

"Dean!" Cas yelled. "Come on, come feel the water."

Dean couldn't say no to him. He took off his shoes and socks as well and ran down to feel the cold water with Cas. Dean stood next to Cas, on his right hand side. Dean put his hand on Cas's shoulder. Cas internally shuddered under the touch.

"Are you glad you got to see the beach?" Cas asked.

"Very much so." Dean said.

As Dean looked out into the ocean, contemplating everything in his life, one thing was for sure. He wanted to be with Cas forever. Something in his stomach made him know that he loved this boy. This boy he had known for only about two weeks. It made no sense, that Dean could love someone he barely knew. But Dean only knew what he felt. And it was love.

Dean reached up with the hand that wasn't on Cas's shoulder and touched the blue necklace hanging around his neck. He glanced at the similar necklace hanging around Cas's neck. Dean could only hope and pray that Cas felt the same way.

Dean was waiting for the right moment to tell Cas.The perfect moment. Dean figured that right here, right now on this cold, wet beach, was about as perfect as it was going to get.

Dean took his hand off Cas's shoulder and slid it down his arm. His fingers traced the edge of Cas's trench coat all the way down to his hand, where Dean interlocked his fingers with Cas's cold fingers.

"Dean..." Cas said, a little apprehensively. Cas turned towards Dean, who looked very, very nervous.

"Cas, I like you." Dean said, his voice quavering. He turned to face Cas. "I like you, like a lot. I really like you in a very romantic way." 

Cas felt his heart jump in his throat. He tightened his fingers around Dean's. "Dean."

"It's okay, I know I haven't known you very long-"

"Dean, I like you too." Cas said, smiling.

Dean's eyes immediately teared up. He had never felt happier. Ever. He couldn't stop smiling.

Cas smiled back. He had never hoped to ever be this lucky.

"Wow." Dean said, wiping his eyes with his free hand. "I'm sorry, I just can't deal with how happy this makes me."

"It's okay." Cas said, tearing up a little bit too.

"I was so scared to tell you. But I knew I had to." Dean said. "And I'm so, so relieved."

Cas nodded. "I don't think this is real. I'm never this lucky."

"Oh, it's not luck, baby." Dean replied. "Do you mind if I call you baby?"

"No, no, Dean. I love it." Cas said. "Are we like together now?"

"I guess, if you want to be. I'm completely down for it I just want to make sure-"

"I'm down for it." Cas said, smiling.

Dean looked back out to the open, cold, ocean. There was only one thing left to do.

Dean took a step closer to Cas. They were standing face to face. They had never been this close while standing, and Dean noticed that Cas was just a few inches shorter than him.

Cas looked up. Dean's face was so close.

"Can I kiss you?" Dean asked.

"Please."

Dean leaned in as Cas did the same. Dean closed his eyes. Dean felt Cas's lips against his, and everything felt perfect. There was electricity that shot all the way from his lips to his toes and settle as a frothy mess in his stomach. He had kissed girls and boys alike but none of it ever felt this electrifying as it did with Cas.

And Cas, once he felt Dean's soft lips against his, felt like he was whole again. All the years of hiding and of shame didn't matter because of this moment. This one, perfect moment of love. He forgot what a kiss felt like, and it was so full of euphoria that he wondered why he ever waited to kiss Dean.

The single kiss felt like forever. When they both pulled away, they were both smiling like giddy idiots. Dean could see every flash of blue in Cas's beautiful, beautiful eyes. Cas was still a little loopy from the kiss and couldn't help but stare into Dean's green eyes.

Dean moved his hands to the back of Cas's neck. Cas put his hands on Dean's waist. Dean leaned in again and Cas closed the gap. This kiss felt more natural. Cas pulled Dean closer, and Cas's body felt perfect against Dean's.

Cas and Dean stayed with locked lips, parting only when they needed to breathe, for several minutes. Dean's hands were holding Cas close to him, like Cas was going to disappear any moment.

Cas pulled away. His hands were still on Dean's neck. Dean looked at him carefully. "Baby, is everything okay?" Dean asked.

"More than okay. Everything is perfect." Cas said. "I'm just... nervous."

"Why?" Dean asked.

"I've only kissed one other person." Cas said. "I'm scared that I'm not experienced enough. I don't know what to do. I don't want to do something wrong."

"Cas, baby..." Dean said, kissing Cas quickly. "You couldn't do anything wrong. Just do what feels right to you. Because nothing you could do would ever make me want to leave. And if you want to go slower, just tell me. Tell me if you want anything, ever. I want to make you so happy."

Cas smiled. "What did I ever do to deserve you?"

Dean kissed the corner of Cas's mouth. "You deserve everything and more, baby."

"Dean, can we just sit and watch the waves?" Cas asked.

Dean nodded and sat down on the sand. He spread his legs out and gave Cas a look that suggested that Cas sit there. Cas sat in between Dean's legs, his knees curled up to his chest. Dean rested his head on one of Cas's shoulders and draped an arm over the other shoulder. Cas reached up and held Dean's hand.

And there they sat. Watching the waves, utterly in love with each other, for hours.