chapter 10

Dean woke up an hour or two later. His eyes opened slowly, as sleep threatened to hold them shut. Dean eventually forced his eyes to focus, and the first thing he noticed was warmth. The warmth was from Cas, the kid he'd only known for a day but had grown infinitely close to. Cas was asleep, his trenchcoat (which was still the weirdest fashion choice Dean had ever seen) had fallen over Dean's legs and was keeping both of them warm.

Dean slowly slid away from Cas, who slumped in his seat and continued to sleep. Dean moved back to his original seat and checked his backpack for all his possessions. Change of clothes was still there, hundreds of dollars was still there, his phone was still there. Everything was still there. Dean checked his phone to see if there were any calls or texts from Sam, and expected to see nothing.

But what he did see was one missed call from Sam.

"Crap!" Dean said. "Crap this is not good!"

Dean opened his phone quickly and listened to the voicemail Sam had left.

"Uh, hey Dean. You told me to only use this number for emergencies but I don't know if this qualifies or not. Still, um, I knew you ran away but Dad didn't. He just thought you wanted to blow of steam or something. But you've been gone for like a day now, so he figured it out. He called people all over the country and let me just say, he's going to find you. He's determined to. Okay, his car just pulled into the driveway. Gotta go."

Dean listened to the message three times before he understood what was happening. He didn't expect that his dad would be this determined to get him back. All those times his dad drunkenly yelled about how he wished that Dean would just leave already... The times when his dad just seemed so disappointed in Dean being alive... Dean would not have expected his dad would ever want him to step back into the house.

But Dean realized this bubble he built for himself was going to burst. When his dad wanted something, he got it. No matter what. There was going to be no more running away, no more freedom, no more Cas.

Cas! Dean totally forgot about Cas! Just by hanging around him Cas was in danger of being sent home. And based on what Dean could infer about Cas, his home was not a good place.

Dean had no idea what to do.