Chapter 13

"I told you she had nothing to hide, Mason." I said, sitting across from him at his big oak desk.
"You're really going to say I told you so right now?" He asked.
I shrugged and picked at my nails. He sighed and sat on the corner of the desk in front of me. I didn't look up at him as he began shuffling through papers. I had a thought and looked at him until he noticed my gaze.
    "Yes?" He quizzed.
    "We could take care of her." I said.
    He arched one of his brows at my suggestion and looked back down at his papers without a response. My eyebrows furrowed at his action and I stood from the chair I sat in. I went to the same side of his desk that he sat and sat on the desk next to his papers. He let out a long breath.
    "What are you thinking?" I asked, knowing there was something he was not saying.
    Again he said nothing and I knew he was thinking something I wouldn't like, so he was pleading the fifth. I crossed my arms.
    "Come on, whatever it is. Out with it." I demanded.
    He set the papers down and leaned back in his office chair, crossing his arms.
    "I'm just thinking that I'm starting to feel like a foster parent." He said.
    My eyebrows furrowed and my nostrils flared slightly but I kept my composure, giving him a chance to explain. 
    "What do you mean?" I quizzed.
    "What I mean is we already have Aaron who is neither of our child. Now you want to bring Iris in who is neither of ours when there are plenty of pack members who would do it. I just don't see how it's our responsibility. Even more so when we don't even have any pups of our own." He said calmly.
I, however, was no longer calm.
"Aaron is not a foster kid and do not even think of him as one." I growled.
"I'm not saying he is. I'm just saying what are you going to do? Take in every rogue kid that shows up??" He quizzed, getting up to pour a glass of scotch.
"No, not every rogue kid but when it's kids that I changed their diapers then yah I'm gonna want to have them in my care instead of someone else's. Is that so crazy!" I threw my hands up.
"No I never said it was crazy! I'm just saying you shouldn't be putting that load of responsibility just because she is from your old pack. You're going to have to have your own kids to worry about!" He raised his voice slightly.
"What? Are you worried I'm not going to let you knock me up if I take in too many kids??" I fumed.
He sipped the scotch, exhaling a deep breath.
"Yes, that is most definitely what I said." He grumbled.
"Well then what are you saying?? Because as a Luna, aren't I suppose to have empathy? Am I not suppose to feel this need to look out for others??" I quizzed.
"You are suppose to do those things but as Luna you are also suppose to let things go and not harbor something that happened in the past. You're trying to protect a pack that you no longer belong to. A pack that no longer exists except those two. This pack is what your mindset is all about." He said, slamming the scotch down on his desk and sitting back down.
"You're jealous." I realized.
"What are you on about?" He quizzed, shuffling through papers again.
I got up and began to walk back and forth in his office in front of his desk.
"You're jealous that my heart is still with my old pack and not one hundred percent with this pack." I told him.
His jaw ticked.
"You sound ridiculous." He said.
"No I make perfect sense. It all makes sense now. And the reason you were so reluctant about Aaron. And why you were so hard on Iris. It's because they are from my old life and that bugs the hell out of you because you want my heart completely devoted to your pack." I said, finally understanding.
"None of that is true, London. You sound stupid." He said, his jaw so tight he was threatening to break his teeth.
"No it's not stupid. Not to mention as an alpha you want my ultimate loyalty even if I'm also loyal to a pack that was destroyed. It gets right under your skin!" I stated.
Mason said nothing for a long time and I wondered what he would say once he opened his mouth again. What came out was a surprise.
"You're right." He said lowly.
I sat back down on the corner of his desk again.
"I know." I smirked.
He narrowed his eyes at me and shook his head.
"You're too smart and sarcastic for your own good sometimes." He grumbled as he took my hand.
I chuckled as I gazed at our hands curiously. I liked the sight and the feel of it. We're not the most affectionate couple so the small things like this seem big in my mind.
"I just want your heart to be with this pack. You are a Luna even if you're not yet but your heart immediately opens to your old pack and I haven't seen it as much for mine." He admitted.
I leaned forward and gently took the hair on the back of his head. I tugged on it to make his eyes meet mine. His eyes darkened slightly at the cation but I pretended not to notice.
"I am invested in this pack. Our pack. I really have no choice but to be invested, don't you think? But to have a pack ripped away from you is something that never leaves you and I'm sorry but my old pack will never leave my heart. I don't expect you to understand how heartbreaking something like that is. But as an alpha, I do expect you to think about how loyal a wolf is to a pack. Whether that pack is gone or not." I explained calmly.
He smiled a small smile. He caresses my cheek and his callused hand was a new sensation against the soft skin of my face.
"You are magnificent. I could not ask for a better Luna." He smiled.
I wish he would smile more, he has perfect teeth and it makes him look younger, even more handsome if possible.
"I could ask for a less mouthy mate but beggars can't be choosers." He ruined it.
I went to slap him on the head but he caught my hand, laughing, and kissed my knuckles. I rolled my eyes.
"So... Can we keep her?" I asked, referring to Iris.
"Fine but the next kid we end up taking care of better be our own blood." He said.
"Deal but you'll be waiting a while." I told him.
"I can deal with that."