Chapter 22

A week later
      Iris has gone through her surgery like a champ. They had done a great job and with the arm gone, her healing abilities were back to full strength. She healed in only a week's time. I was so glad to have everyone back together but then Mason began acting strange. On edge most of the time. I could not put my finger on it. I wondered if it was that I was going to be crowned Luna in two weeks but dismissed the thought. He was excited, not nervous for that. Even when we made love, it seemed like his mind was partly somewhere else and I have been dodging doing it again until I figure out what's going on.
       I served the kids their breakfast and kissed each of their heads. They would be starting school soon and they were elated. They would each be starting a couple grades behind, which they were a tad embarrassed about. I told them there was nothing to worry about. Everyone loves them and they will make friends their own age too.
       Mason never came down for breakfast and I sighed, putting the dishes in the sink. I walked up to his office and knocked, before entering.
       "You weren't at breakfast." I concluded.
       "I'm sorry, I was trying to figure something out." He replied, not looking up from his desk.
       I sighed and stomped over to his desk and sat on the papers he was working on. He looked up in surprise and his five o'clock shadow was evident.
       "What is up with you? You're never around us and even when you are, your head is somewhere else. We're a family, Mason. You wanna tell me what's up yet?" I growled.
       He sighed and put his palm on my leg, rubbing soothing circles. I folded my arms across my chest.
       "We think... we think the men who captured you and Iris had more men that knew about what they were doing. We have had a few sightings of men with snake and scorpion tattoos at night. I'm about to put a curfew on the pack tonight. We think they're back to finish the job and take some other lives in their way." Mason explained.
        I didn't really react at first and my brows furrowed.
        "And you didn't tell me, becauseee?" I trailed off, waiting for him to answer.
        "I didn't want you to worry. You have enough on your plate." He said, patting my leg.
        My lips pressed into a thin line and my nostrils flared. I stood up and walked around the other side of his desk.
        "I have the same amount of things on my plate as you do on yours. Honestly, Mason, you can't just keep things from me and expect that to come off as protecting me. I'm about to be your Luna and if this is how you're going to 'include me' then maybe I want no part of this." I growled, before turning to storm out.
        A hand caught my arm before I could leave however and Mason spun me around to face him. His lips connected with mine and I moaned softly as he wrapped his arms around my waist and mine around his neck. I pulled away and glared slightly.
        "And that's another thing, whenever we have sex you-"
        "God, shut up and let me kiss you, London." He sighed, kissing me passionately.
        He picked me up and carried me to his desk where he set me down and starting fiddling with the button of my jeans. I undid his belt as he began to kiss and nip at my neck. I sighed and moaned slightly as his teeth grazed over his mark on my neck.
          "I'm sorry." He whispered.
          I nodded and crashed our lips together again. Just as I had gotten Mason's pants undone a shrill scream of terror came from outside. Mason and I were up and out clothes fixed in seconds. We ran down the stairs and past the kids who were in the living room, looking confused.
          "Stay here with your brother." I told Iris.
          We ran out into the middle of the pack village to see Lucinda holding Beatrice to her chest as she screamed and cried. I ran to the scene, Mason slightly ahead of me. Denaudie lay bloodied and lifeless on the ground a little ways away from the start of the forest. Beatrice was in hysteria and Manny was trying to revive Denaudie. Troye came to observe what was happening and his eyes change immediately upon seeing her. He roared louder than even Mason did sometimes and many covered their ears.
           "You! You killed my baby!" Beatrice screamed, trying to attack Troye.
          I ran over to the argument and tugged Beatrice back.
          "You honestly think I would kill my own mate, you crazy old bat?? She was two months pregnant!" He screamed.
          Bee screamed and hit him, scratching him with one of her nails as her wolf began to come through.
          "Beatrice calm down." I pleaded, holding her back.
          "No!!!" She screamed.
         "BEATRICE STOP!" I shouted in a voice that was not my own.
         Her movements immediately stopped and she sank to the ground, sobbing. I looked over to see Manny still trying to revive Denaudie and Mason stopped him, shaking his head. They stood, both covered in blood and Jason came tumbling out of the woods.
          "Nothing. Not even a scent. They must have been here just as night broke for their scent to be gone." He informed.
          Mason looked around at all the scared pack members and I soothed Beatrice.
         "From here on out, there will be a curfew set for before dark! That is 8:00! If you must be out later then you will mind Link myself, Jason, or Manny or your Luna! And walk with someone at all times. Any sightings of outsiders are to be reporter immediately!" He announced in his alpha voice.
         "Yes Alpha!" Everyone said all at once.
         "Everyone go home!" Manny said.
         Everyone dispersed and I helped Beatrice up as Troye tried to run to Denaudie. Manny held him back and shook his head.
         "You don't want to see her like this, Troye. Go home." Manny whispered to him, but we all heard.
         His shoulders sagged and he slowly retreated home, tears streaming down his cheeks. He turned toward Bee before he went.
        "I know I wasn't the best mate and I was an asshole. But I did love your daughter and we were working on my issues. We were getting better..." he whimpered, before walking away.