Chapter 20

2 Weeks Later
    I lay awake in bed, staring at the ceiling of our bedroom. Mason was close to me, his breath fanning my neck. Aaron was snuggled into my side, snorting every once in a while from his violent snores. I would have gotten up by now but between Mason's arm across my waist and not wanting to leave them, I had no chance.
     The landline next to our bed rang and I had to fight Mason's large sleeping form just to reach over him and grab it. He growled in his sleep and I rolled my eyes, my boobs in his face as I grasped the phone. I saw it was the hospital and sat upright in a haste. Both the boys woke and spun around, looking for what was wrong. I paid no mind to them and answered the phone.
       "Hello?" I spoke.
       "Hello, Luna. This is Doctor Master's. I was calling in regard to Iris. She is now stable and should be waking up shortly. I wanted to inform you so you would be here. I would like to speak to both of you once you get here." The doctor told me.
Tears ran down my cheeks as I grinned. Mason smiled and kissed my shoulder, hearing the whole conversation. Aaron looked between the two of us, wondering what was up. I was speechless. I was elated. Mason took the phone and told the doctor we would be to the hospital after breakfast. I covered my face with my hands and cried/ laughed into them.
I leaped out of the bed and changed into clothes for the day. I threw a pair of jeans and a shirt at Mason and got Aaron up. He rubbed his eyes and walked with me to his room.
"Is Iris awake?" He asked.
"She will be soon, hunny. Can you get ready so we can have breakfast please?" I kissed his head and lay out an outfit for him.
The three of us had breakfast and rushed off to see Iris. By the time we got there, her eyes were open and she smiled weakly at us. I rushed to her side and moved her hair from her face.
"Hi, Mom." She whispered.
My heart swelled and I nodded, tears spilling.
"Hi honey." I smiled, sitting Aaron in my lap.
Mason sat on the opposite side of her bed and smiled at her.
"Hi." She whispered, her finger twitching toward his hand.
He wrapped his finger around hers and she winced. Mason tried to pull away but she held on tighter, wincing again.
"Don't let go." She whispered.
"Not for a moment. Never again." He swore.
I grinned as she looked at Aaron. She smiled and Aaron waved, smiling at her. She giggled and winced once again. I looked down as Aaron put his hand next to hers and saw as she tried to move her finger, her hands and wrists flexed, showing that her veins were still silver. Before I could think about what that could mean, there was a knock at the door. Doctor Masters smiled and entered the room.
"Good morning, Alpha, Luna. And good morning Iris, I hope you're feeling better. Hello, Aaron. Could I possible the two of you in my office?" She asked, looking at Mason and myself.
We nodded and I sat Aaron in my seat. I softly closed Iris's door as I left. I looked at the two of them talking and smiled before taking Mason's hand, following the doctor down the hall.
"She seems much better." Mason said gratefully.
"She is except for some things..." She said sadly.
"What things?" I asked, worrying.
She sighed.
"Something happened with Iris during recovery. Her body healed marvelously, most likely due to her alpha bloodlines. But, there is still a portion of the poison in her left arm. This is preventing her from making a full recovery. At this rate, with her arm not foreseeing recovery, she would only gain sixty five percent of her strength back. That percent, as you know, is not enough for her to connect with her wolf. Her wolf is not present and will never be if this persists." She explained.
My jaw must have been on the floor at this new information. Was she saying...?
"So what does that mean? I mean what... what has to.... what do you.." Mason stuttered for words, knowing deep down exactly what it meant.
"In order for Iris to have full recovery and strength and come back in contact with her wolf.... We would have to amputate Iris's arm from the elbow down." She said.
The air in my lungs seemed like it was pushed out in one huge, violent shove. I put my face in my hands and felt tears drop into my palms. God, this was all my fault.
"Doctor Masters, is there anything else that could possibly done?" I begged.
She sighed and shook her head in defeat.
"I've mulled over this since I found out five days ago. I've ran countless tests. The only other option is to let Iris go on with such a danger in her arm. She would have to live as a sick human if we don't amputate. I'm sorry." She said solemnly.
I had no words and all I could do was sit back in my chair and think over everything that would happen.
"I just have to know what the two of you want done." She said softly.
"It's not our choice." I said suddenly.
Mason took my hand and looked at me with grave eyes.
"It's not. It's not our choice, Mason. We can't just decide this for her. She's not a little kid. She understands." I said.
"I can give you a while to talk it over with Iris?" She suggested.
I nodded.
We all exited her office and Mason was quiet.
"You didn't say much in there." I said to him.
"I didn't really know what to say." He said weakly.
"What do you think she'll say?" I asked quietly.
"Either way she chooses to go, she loses. We lose. She is basically human with it and without it she is a weak she-wolf. She will hate both options, as do I." He says, defeated.
I nod. I take his hand and kiss his cheek, pulling him into a hug. I breath in his scent and sigh. I had no idea how we were going to do this.