Chapter 21

Iris at top^
Mason and I entered Iris's room to see Manny and Jason sitting on either side of her bed. She was smiling as she talked to them. Jason has been here a few days ago but Manny has been away for a few weeks. I was surprised to see him.
He stood and Mason pulled him into a hug. The two brothers looked like two tree trunks slamming together and I smiled. Manny hugged me as well and kissed my head. Jason gave us hugs as well and we walked them out. We filled them in and they were quiet as we stood in the hall.
"So she loses either way." Manny concludes.
We nodded.
"She's strong guys. I bet she'll be stronger than most in the pack even without it." Jason said honestly.
Mason smiled and nodded.
"Oh and Mason. There are some issues that need to be dealt with as soon as possible. I think... well I'll tell you about it later." Manny stuttered.
My brows drew together as the two had a private conversation in their minds. Jason looked at me, knowing what was happening but wouldn't say a word. Mason jaw locked and I was worried he would break his teeth. He looked at me and smiled softly. Manny and Jason left a while later and we entered Iris's room. She looked at us with solemn eyes.
"I heard. I heard everything." She sniffled, her eyes full of tears.
     I took her hand and had to hold back tears of my own. Mason kissed her head and stroked her cheek with his thumb, catching a fallen tear.
     "I'm sorry." She whispered to him.
      Both mine and Mason's eyebrows drew together at her statement.
       "Sorry for what, sweetie?" I asked her.
      "I'm sorry I won't be strong like Mom and I won't be the strong Alpha daughter that my real father and that Mason would expect." She whispered before bringing her good arm up to cover her face with her hand as she sobbed.
       My heart broke right then and I was about to speak but Mason beat me to it.
      "Iris, look at me." He demanded softly.
      She shook her head.
      "Iris." He warmed.
      She sighed and slowly brought her eyes to meet his. He took her hand and his eyes changed to his wolf. He stared into her eyes until finally her eyes changed to her wolf's as well.
       "You are an alpha's daughter, no matter what. Wether you are the strongest of the pack or night. You are an alpha's daughter and a damn good alpha's daughter at that. Do you understand Alice?" Maurice, Mason's wolf, told Alice, Iris's wolf.
"Yes, I understand. I just... I feel like a terrible wolf. I was born to be the strongest. Now I'll die as the weakest..." Alice whimpered.
Maurice huffed disapprovingly.
"You are only as weak as you allow yourself to be. A fool will think strength only lays in the body. A warrior will know strength also comes from the heart." Maurice told her.
My heart swelled and my wolf pranced happily for having found such a great mate. I decided to let her say something as well. I sat back and let her show herself.
"Alice." My wolf, Marian, said.
Alice looked at me and smiled softly.
"Your father was the greatest alpha I know. And I know you and Aaron were given the biggest, strongest hearts of any wolf. The strength in your arms, legs, any of your body cannot compare even at full strength. That's what makes you a fantastic and strong she-wolf." Marian told her honestly.
All at once, we all took back control from our wolves and smiled at each other. We went in for a group hug and Iris took a deep breath.
"Okay, I'm ready. I want the operation." She said confidently.
"You're sure?" Mason clarified.
She did not hesitate for a moment.
"Yes. I wouldn't want to lose my wolf and risk the disease spreading. I want to do it." She told us.
I smiled softly at her and nodded, kissing her head.
"I'll inform Dr. Masters." I told her and exited her hospital room.
After informing the doctor of Iris's decision, she said Iris would begin prepping for surgery tomorrow morning. I let out a shaky breath and sat outside Iris's room to gather my thoughts. I put my face in my hands and massaged my scalp. I heard someone sit next to me and chuckled as Manny gave me a goofy smile. Jason sat on the other side of me on the cold floor.
"I thought you guys left." I said.
"Well, we did but we wanted to come back and make sure everything was still okay. Plus, you have more visitors." Jason pointed.
I looked and saw Beatrice with her daughter and many other pack members. I smiled and Aaron ran over, hugging me.
I hugged Beatrice and as many people as I could.
"How is she?" Everyone asked.
"She's going to be alright. We just have one more hurtle to jump but she can do it. She's very strong." I informed them.
They all hooted and hollered, cheering gratefully.
"Thank you so much for coming, everyone. You can take turns saying some things to Iris, if you'd like. She's in room 113." I said. People walked past me to take turns in Iris's room and Mason hugged Beatrice. Mindy and Aaron walked away to sit on the bench together and a couple other kids followed and sat beside them and started playing a game. We chatted with pack members and then a nurse informed everyone that visiting hours were over. Everyone said their goodbyes and once everyone was gone, including Aaron to Mindy's house with other friends, Mason and I went to say goodbye to Iris.
      "We'll be here early in the morning so we can talk before the surgery and keep you company. Okay?" Mason told her.
      She nodded, smiling at us.
      "Thank you." She said gratefully.
       "Goodnight. I love you." I said.
       "Love you kid." Mason said, squeezing her good hand gently.
       "Love you guys too. Goodnight." She said and we took our leave.
"I have an idea for what we can do when we get home." I smirked at Mason, feeling actually pretty normal and peaceful since being taken.
"Oh really?" He asked, intrigued.
His hand landed on my butt with a hard 'smack' as we made our way to the car in the parking lot.