Cheering up

Lukas's POV

I'm worried about Jesse. She has confined herself to her room, crying her sorrows out ever since Rueben died. Everyone has attempted to make her feel better either by talking to her, watching movies with her or giving her cookies, but their efforts did nothing in helping her. I had to participate in cheering her up because seeing her so broken is difficult. I'll admit, one reason I want to help her so bad is because she is my best and only true friend and the most important person to me. So yes, I gather you know now that I have feelings for her. She has always been there to provide me with a helping hand or to be a shoulder to lean on. Not to mention that she is the most beautiful girl I have ever met, inside and out. (Do NOT  tell her I said that!)
This isn't the kind of occasional crush. This is an ever burning feeling I get in my chest when I'm around her.

Maybe getting her out of her room will brighten her mood. I approached her bedroom door and lifted my hand to knock, my fist slowly tapping the door.

"Jess, may I come in?" I asked.

A brief moment of silence followed my question before I heard a soft reply.

"Sure, come on in." She mumbled from the inside of her room.

I opened the door to see Jesse sitting with her knees to her chest with a tear stained face and puffy, red eyes.

"Hey Jesse. Have you been feeling any better?" I asked her.

"Not really. I can't just let Rueben go. He was my first best friend." She said in a quiet, wavering voice.

I hate seeing her like this.
The things I would do just to see her happy again.
I thought maybe inviting her for a walk tonight would help clear her head.

Jesse's POV

Lukas has come in to check on me and asked if I have been feeling better. To be honest, now that Lukas is here, I do feel slightly better, like he's a beacon of comfort in my times of darkness. I always felt at ease with him. He's good company and he has always looked out for me, make me smile when I was down, never gave up on me and has never second guessed me, even in difficult situations. Everything that makes a perfect partner.

"Jesse? Do you want to come for a walk with me? You know, to clear your thoughts a little?" He asked, after a few moments of silence.

"I would like that." I replied, wiping the stray tears from my cheeks.

After that Lukas got up and offered me his hand. I took it and he pulled me up. We stood there for brief moment and I smiled.

Lukas's POV

As we made our way out, I grabbed my jacket in case it got cold - It was almost sunset and I wanted to take Jesse to a place I like to sit and organise my thoughts.

It might do her some good to lay he bottled up emotions on me. Maybe..other emotions too? No, what am I thinking? Tonight is about her and making her happy.

We walked together to a hill and I sat down under a Birch tree, patting the grass next to me, silently encouraging Jesse to sit down next to me. We sat there and watched the sky slowly change from blue to a palette of yellow, rosy pink, and tangerine . It was beautiful, befitting of the girl next to me. I side glanced at Jesse and smiled. The delicate hues of the darkening sky reflecting in her eyes amplified her beauty. She turned her head to face me, a shy smile on her face.

"Is there something on my face?" She half-heartedly giggles.

"Nice to see you happy again." I smiled.

She looked back at the setting sun and sighed.

"It really is a sight to behold."

"Yeah... and so are you."

I whispered the last part in what I hope was only known to me. She looked at me in surprise.

"What?" She asked.

"What?" I say, shocked that she heard.

I don't want to upset Jesse all over again.

What if she thinks I'm taking advantage of her?
What if she gets mad and walks away?!

"Thats sweet of you to say, Lukas." She smiled.

...Not what I expected but I'll take what I can get. Ok... no big deal...

"I try." I shyly admitted, rubbing the back of my neck and averting my eyes.

Jesse's POV

This is why I like Lukas. He has such an awkward way of expressing himself, yet he seems so confident. He always finds a way to make me smile.

"You're not too bad yourself." I said.
He looked shocked.

"I like you Lukas." I admitted slowly as I felt my cheeks heating up rapidly.

"I like you too Jesse. You are my best friend, after all." He said with a smile.

"No, I mean as more than a friend." I said as I hid my blushing face in my hands.

"More than a friend," he chuckled. "Now there's something we can agree on." He says. "You're amazing, Jesse, and so capable. You're a welcoming presence, a fantastic leader and you have the smile to make every girl jealous." He said, his voice full of sincerity.

That made my heart go ba-dum ba-dum. This is actually happening!
We sat in a comfortable silence and he rested his hand on top of mine. We watched the stars pop into the sky; a beautiful contrast against the black of night.

With the night came a cool breeze. I shivered and Lukas noticed. He took his jacket off and rested it over my shoulders. I gratefully wrapped it tighter around me. After a while, I moved to face Lukas, taking one of his hands in mine.

Lukas's POV

I brought my free hand up to Jesse's face while the other held her hand. We looked into each other's eyes. The light of the stars made Jesse's eyes sparkle like emeralds. I brought her face closer to mine. We both closed our eyes and embraced in a kiss. Just then the sky filled with color as fireworks whizzed through the darkness. It seems my efforts have paid off in cheering Jesse up. And an added bonus is that Jesse is mine and I am hers. We are together and nothing will get between us.

***

Thanks for the request
Hope you enjoyed it.