There's Always A Choice

Requested by Clairryan12637

A/N: Hey everyone! It's been awhile and I want to apologize for the period of time I was inactive. I'll try my best to keep the updates coming! Thank you for those of you who have waited and stuck with me! Stay safe!!

•Jesse's POV•

Lukas and I set out to go hunt down monsters, seeking adrenaline and maybe find something valuable on the way.

The moon glows, the darkness of the forest bleached by its light. Trees cast appalling shadows. I shiver at the site of the terrain. Dark, haunting and cold. Completely opposite to the daytime version - bright, welcoming and warm. It almost feels as though the trees themselves are watching us.

I step a bit closer to Lukas for safety. He looks down at me, the pale light of the moon reflects in his eyes.

"What's up?" He asks, looking straight ahead again. I look down at our feet, our paces match.

"Nothing. Just feels... like we're being watched." I said, resting my hand on the hilt of my sword.

"Don't worry, you've got me with you. We make a pretty good team." He replied with a soft smile.

Lukas has an aura to him that just makes you feel safe, even when danger is around every corner. He has the kind of attitude that makes any bad situation appear to have a good side.

We carried on walking, our eyes watching cautiously for any movement in the shadows. Any sounds breaking the silence.

To my left, I hear a twig snap underfoot. My grip on my sword tightens as I stop and turn to see what the disturbance was.

There, standing perfectly still, aiming a razor sharp arrow at us, is a skeleton.

"Get out of the way!" I yell, pushing Lukas down to the forest floor as the arrow whizzes through the air where we had been standing!

"Whoa! Thanks, if you hadn't pushed me down, I'd have been skewered!" He said, his hair ruffled from the sudden act.

I don't reply. Instead, I scramble to my feet and rush to the monster, raising my sword past my shoulder and slashing it across the skeletons body, severing it at the spine.

After it converted to dust, I turned back to Lukas, blowing the loose strands of hair out of my face.

"Phew! Better him than us. Okay, one down, many, many more to go!" I say as I start walking again. Lukas trails behind, now more aware of his surroundings.

While I dealt with the skeleton, he got his bow out, an arrow knocked and ready to shoot.

•••

The sounds of rushing water filled the silence and we came upon a river leading to a plummeting waterfall. On the other side of the river, a cole mine, now abandoned, sits in solitude. Its depths would have beckoned a few stray monsters. Prime monster hunting site.

"Come on. That old mine looks promising. Let's go check it out." Lukas says before wading through the frigid, rushing water. Once he's across safe and sound, I follow his lead, taking the same path he did and coming up on the opposite bank where he lends me a hand and helps me out of the water.
I nod my thanks and we continue.

Lukas enters the colliery and I tag along, sticking close to him. I reach into my pocket, pulling out a lighter and take a torch off the wall, setting it alight to illuminate our path.

We walk for awhile, some areas in the shaft have stalagmites due to the accumulation of minerals dripping from the ceiling of the cave. Minerals that survived the mining that used to happen here.